Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

need more info on Spywareguard 2.2

by Gakada / March 31, 2004 11:37 PM PST

I just installed SG 2.2 and found a few interesting things about it.

1. In Windows XP, you have to copy or put a shortcut to E:\Documents and Settings\USERS NAME\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.

Note: Do Not copy to All Users start up, atleast the user account who installed the SG 2.2 will run it twice... (running the shortcut from its own startup and also the one on All Users account startup.

2. IF something is changing your default homepage address (such as Browser Hijacker), you will get a warning and ask that you want to RESTORE or KEEP the change....

This is kind of danger for casual users, because not everyone understand or have knowledge about BHO. So there is a change a user make a wrong choice.

3. Because of point #1, its to easy to disable it, by deleting the shortcut and restart.

Please advice if there is a setting that I should make, to prevent it -- wrong choice and shortcut deletion etc.

Thank You

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need more info on Spywareguard 2.2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need more info on Spywareguard 2.2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:need more info on Spywareguard 2.2
by Marianna Schmudlach / March 31, 2004 11:55 PM PST

Gakada,

I do NOT have winXP - so I have NO idea - wouldn't it be best you ask your questions in Javacool's forum here:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/archive/

Scroll down till you see:

Official Javacool Software Forum >

SpywareBlaster & Other Forum

Collapse -
[NT] Thanks MS
by Gakada / April 1, 2004 12:06 AM PST

Collapse -
Re:need more info on Spywareguard 2.2
by Donna Buenaventura / April 1, 2004 3:06 AM PST
1. In Windows XP, you have to copy or put a shortcut to E:\Documents and Settings\USERS NAME\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.

Note: Do Not copy to All Users start up, atleast the user account who installed the SG 2.2 will run it twice... (running the shortcut from its own startup and also the one on All Users account startup.

That is correct Gakada. The limited user need to add the sgmain.exe in its OWN startup folder - see this post

2. IF something is changing your default homepage address (such as Browser Hijacker), you will get a warning and ask that you want to RESTORE or KEEP the change....

This is kind of danger for casual users, because not everyone understand or have knowledge about BHO. So there is a change a user make a wrong choice.

That is true. We have to be very careful in hitting KEEP unless the user is the one who do some changes or while installing a "trusted" program.

3. Because of point #1, its to easy to disable it, by deleting the shortcut and restart.

Please advice if there is a setting that I should make, to prevent it -- wrong choice and shortcut deletion etc.

Yes, deleting the sgmain.exe in the startup folder of any user account will stop SpywareGuard in loading during startup. You will need to add sgmain.exe again if you want SpywareGuard to load and protect you. Clicking File|Exit in SpywareGuard will do only exit the program but will load again during next restart.

HTH

Donna
Collapse -
[NT] Thanks D, I guess its not for XP multiple users at home or offices yet,
by Gakada / April 1, 2004 4:39 AM PST

Collapse -
You're welcome Gakada.

Some software (example: Opera browser ) has the option available for users (while installing the software) to select whether the installation of the software will be use to 'All Users' or 'Current User' only. Hopefully this option will be added or can be added by Javacool.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.