TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Need major help hooking up a new receiver!!!(long)

by mrw322 / November 23, 2005 12:34 PM PST

I am in the process of buying a new receiver. Here is some background. My house was wired and some speakers were installed. My working speakers are as follows-- in family room 2 speakers in wall and 2 speakers in ceiling( I think these are consider the rear speakers if I were to do surrond sound) then my kitchen has 2 speakers. I have a volume control in the family room and another one in the kitchen. My family room and kitchen are one big open space. I am not interested in hooking up for surround right now-- I just want to be able to have equal volume in all the speakers. I am assuming that the rear speaker will not even have to be hooked up-- but not sure on that.

Now today I was looking at all these wires coming out of my wall and I got terrified. I have set up my steros in the past but this seems very complicated. I guess what is throwing me off is that a few of the wires have a red,black,green,and white wires. What the heck are the green and white wires for and where do they go on the reciever? I am thinking they have something to do with the volume controls switches but not sure. Can someone please help me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need major help hooking up a new receiver!!!(long)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need major help hooking up a new receiver!!!(long)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Get a diagram....
by hitechluddite / November 23, 2005 10:07 PM PST

All I can say is get a DVM and start checking continuity. The speakers should be around 8 ohms so if you set all the volume controls to max. You should read 8Ohms across the coils. Once you find them you could change one of the volume controls and see if the resistance changes that would tell you which leg of the speaker goes thru the controls. Without a wiring diagram you have a tough way to go......

Collapse -
by sirroundsound / November 24, 2005 12:29 PM PST

Depending on first installer, I would guess one of two color codes used.
RED/Green = +/- for right speaker
White/Black = +/- for left speaker

Red/Black = +/-
White/Green = +/-

Simple test if you do not have meters.
Get a good 9v battery,make sure volume control knobs are up to full volume, put red wire to +, and touch other wires to -, remove and touch again, as you do this and find the right pair of wires, one of the speakers will eventually make a popping sound. Once you hear the popping sound, you have found the + and - wires for that speaker. Next select other wires and continue untill you find all the speakers. I suggest getting a sharpie or other type of pen to write on the wire with so you don't forget.
Now you have all the speaker wires sorted out. From what you have described it's only 2 pairs of main speakers and a pair of surrounds we are dealing with.
Many receivers available have speakers A and B, which will make this easy, living room goes into A and kitchen into B. As long as system will let you play both at the same time, your set. You should make sure receiver volume is set possibly to around half way, then let room volume dictate how loud you want it in each area.
Good luck, and happy holidays.

Collapse -
thanks but still having problems
by mrw322 / November 25, 2005 2:02 PM PST
In reply to: simple

Thanks for helping. I did the test with the 9V battery and determined that the wires are red/green and white/black. I attempted to hook them up this evening and was unable to get sound out of them. This is becoming more of a problem than expected. I feel like I have tried everything and just cannot figure out why I am getting no sound. Any thoughts?

Collapse -
Add some info...
by sirroundsound / November 26, 2005 8:14 AM PST

Now that you know the color code used, what are you connecting them too. What make and model of receiver?
Were you sure you had speakers turned on, on the receiver? Volume controls turned up?
Another simple task.... connect one set of wires (red/green, white/black) to your receiver, tune in a radio station, or if you have a cd player get a disc playing (and select CD on receiver). Check that tape monitor isn't on, make sure speakers "a" are turned on (if the reciever has this option) also make sure you are not in any surround mode(if available). Turn wall volume control knob to full, then adjust volume on receiver.
If the battery test made the popping noise on the speaker, you know the connection is good, the only thing left is the connection to the stereo or that some button is or isn't on.

Collapse -
speakers are working
by mrw322 / November 26, 2005 1:24 PM PST
In reply to: Add some info...

I did get the speakers to work. The ones in my family room are A and the set in the kitchen are B. I also have 2 additional speakers in the ceiling of the family room. I do not have them hooked up because it really is not necessary but when I do decide to do that, where would they go surround? Thanks for your help with the 9V battery test. It saved me so much time. Great advice. Thanks

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?