PC Applications forum

General discussion

Need machine to shut down & not reboot during brown-outs

by DAJones / July 22, 2005 6:21 AM PDT

My ups does not have voltage down perception - evidently - & my system shuts down & reboots during voltage down or power out for a few seconds time. This has caused 3 bad sectors in my previous hard drive & am on a new HD now. This problem happens alot here. I don't want to go thru this again. Is there something I can put into the system startup/shutdown that will just shut it down & not reboot.
Windows 98 SE updated & Expl 6
DIAL-up
new 80GB HD partitioned.

DAJ

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need machine to shut down & not reboot during brown-outs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need machine to shut down & not reboot during brown-outs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My thoughts
by Alan Copeland / July 22, 2005 6:45 AM PDT

Get a new UPS. A UPS that doesn'nt protect is just a glorified power strip. My APC lets me run during brown outs and allows plenty of time to save and shut down during an outage.

Collapse -
UPS problem?
by El Alquimista / July 22, 2005 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: My thoughts

Perhaps it just needs a new battery. Just as with car batteries the life is limited, and when they fail, there is no charge to keep your system running. So the UPS may have detected the voltage drop and switched over to the battery, but the battery was dead, so no power.

My old UPS needed a new battery after about 5 years, and it cost about $30 as I recall.

Frank

Collapse -
Sorry but this UPS not old
by DAJones / July 23, 2005 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: UPS problem?

Thanks for the tip however I am not in need of a battery as this was a replacement ups from my computer builder (the last one did the same thing!).
They insisted I not install the software (something about Windows 98 & too many commands).
This machine has the self shut down so I have no control over it.
DAJ

Collapse -
Additional info on my system & ups & problem -re: Power Blip
by DAJones / July 23, 2005 5:12 AM PDT

OK, here is a restatement of the problem.
We have Power Blips that are instant off & on.
I am correcting the Brown Out question here.
Instant Power Blips do not make the ups work correctly. It does not have time to go into battery mode (my opinion) so it knows something occurred but not what. Meanwhile the computer which has just tried to shut down w/o saving (as in the Shut Down routine) now tries to reboot w/the blue scan screen. Another blip & another sector of the HD is gone bad - since the HD was obviously running at the time.
This is the first system I have owned that I had to let the system shut down itself & the monitor.
UPS: PowerMax 500
previous model I traded for this one was 650 PowerMax
Previous to that(one that actually worked great) APC brand 650 pro.

Your thoughts please.

Collapse -
That's a defective UPS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2005 5:58 AM PDT

"Instant Power Blips do not make the ups work correctly. It does not have time to go into battery mode "

You've found a defective UPS. As such, it's just as bad as no UPS so toss it out.

-> About the reboot, etc. on power loss. NOT ALL PCs have a BIOS option as to this issue. What a PC does on a power outage in some PCs is set in a BIOS option, however a short enough drop or brownout could have it just fault or reboot.

Let me share that one of my favorite hardware tricks for surviving a short AC dropout is to supersize the power supply. For example, my desktop has a 680 Watt PSU. No it doesn't stress the PSU, but it will be the last to reboot on a short AC dropout.

Bob

Collapse -
Defective UPS & Bios setting
by DAJones / July 24, 2005 6:23 AM PDT

on the PowerMax - both did the same thing. One had software which directed the computer & UPS to hold on - but my builder said don't install it, it will mess up you system. However the 1st UPS I had back in 1997 a 650 pro APC brand worked fine w/software installed on an old Canon machine (am still using that monitor & that machine is still working!)
My husband wants his money back on the Powermax not to mention the costs to repair 3 crashes & 2 HD's. This tower is an AMD machine & I know what you mean by the Bios, so am wondering if I can code it to just shut down. Zero funds & now overextended credit prevent me from running out & getting the APC ups I really want.

"my desktop has a 680 Watt PSU" - sorry, what does PSU stand for? ( is that backwards for UPS? )

Bios code fix available? can reset when funds avail for new ups. Or is this possibly a dangerous move....

Dianne

Collapse -
PSU - Power Supply Unit. . .
by Coryphaeus / July 24, 2005 6:32 AM PDT

And a little more information about the UPS.

The UPS is supplying the power to the PC through the battery, and the battery is constantly being recharged. This is so that any power failure will not affect the PC. There is no "switch" from AC to battery. The battery powers the PC constantly, and the battery is recharged constantly.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.