HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

need laptop advice for a student

by sxn675 / June 5, 2004 12:27 PM PDT

Hello,

I am starting my Ph.D. in the fall, and would like to purchase a laptop. I'd like to spend about $1200 (but am somewhat flexible). My program will last at least 4 years, so I'd love a machine which could last that long. I'll primarily be using it for internet, Word, Excel and maybe some Access. Basically, I want the best machine for the money. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need laptop advice for a student
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need laptop advice for a student
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:need laptop advice for a student
by gosonofthenight / June 5, 2004 12:59 PM PDT

well, i would suggest, for school the compaq r3000 series i have lots of pleased friends who have this series, it'll run you up about 1000, but it's a very nice laptop for what you get. you can get a 15.4" screen, and a not too bad graphics card (if you want to do movie editing/gaming you should go with the dedicated series or the AMD athilon series with the nvidia card, DON'T do shared graphics) this laptop is alittle overqualified for what you want to do, but it's under your price range and is the best for your amount of money. the reason i say you should go with a this laptop that's better then what you need to do now is so it'll last you through 4 years without becoming TOO obsoleet http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_store/computer_series_detail.do?series_name=R3000Z_series&series_index=0&catLevel=2
you'll love this laptop should you get it, it's PERFECT for school, completely wireless, fast, good for all your basic needs plus more, so go for it, if you have any questions reach me at cpmiller@comcast.net,
Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Collapse -
Re:need laptop advice for a student
by electRONix / June 5, 2004 5:48 PM PDT
Dell 300m

I'm a current college student and it's essential that my laptop isn't too heavy or bulky. Dell always has good deals and I believe they are currently giving about a 20% rebate on this laptop. I'm not sure it may have changed since the last time I've checked. The 300m is extremely light, and if you get the extra battery, it will last for several hours. You also have the option of buying it with wireless lan capabilities which allow you to connect to your school's wireless network if it has one. All this means you can quickly pull your laptop out from your bag of books or whatever and be working within seconds. 4 years might be a stretch unless you maintain your laptop well.. And with battery performance and small weight you compromise performance and space. For the applications you're planning on running, performance shouldn't be much of an issue and neither should hard drive space. Good luck on your search for the perfect notebook =)
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.