Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Need Java

by Nanah / December 17, 2004 5:14 AM PST

OS XP SP2
Went to the Symantec site to Trace a Potential Attack, but was unable, because I don't have Java.
Should I go to this website and download http://wwws.sun.com/software/download/index.jsp
Java? Or can you recommend an other website.
Hope it is easy to install, I am always worried something may go wrong.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Java
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Java
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Download Java
by Kees Bakker / December 17, 2004 5:24 AM PST
In reply to: Need Java

Nanah,

Sun is the right place to download Java runtime, since Microsoft doesn't distribute it any more.

This site links to http://www.java.com/en/index.jsp. Choose the Java Virtual Machine there (blinking yellow box in the right upper corner).
It's really not difficult.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Thank you Kees
by Nanah / December 17, 2004 8:48 AM PST
In reply to: Download Java

For the fast reply.
Clicked on the link and Downloaded Java, when it came to install, my Norton's firewall came up, and I got worried, denied the "install exe." But then I went back and disabled my firewall for a couple of minutes and it installed just fine.
This is what I have,
Standard Edition 1.4.2_06
Default Virtual Machine 1.4.2_06-603 Java(TM) Plug-in 1.4.2_06.
Do I need to change the settings now in my Firewall? Specially since I blocked the install of Java? If so how. I have Norton 2005 firewall
Thank you very much for your help.

Collapse -
Nanah
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 18, 2004 5:19 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you Kees

I think your Norton's was being cautious.

When installing something like Java, (or other programs), the installation process will often seek internet access to complete the install.

The install program itself may just be a small program to connect to the internet to download the rest of the main programs.

Norton's firewall did its job by warning you that something, (it didn't know what), was attempting to access the internet, and it hadn't come across this access attempt before.

It is good that it does this. Many malware programs if they manage to get through your defences will attempt to "phone home", and a good firewall will recognise this and tell you.

In Java's case the connection attempt was genuine, and you could have just told Norton to accept it, this time. If you had the option to limit access to "this time", then Norton would have popped up a warning for each access attempt by this particular program

But, now you have Java installed, the installation program will not seek internet access again.

However, Java often uses the internet, so you should expect to see atempts from the Java console to access the internet from time to time.

Refusing permission may stop parts of web sites from working properly, but then again, if are not expecting any Java plug-in on a particular web site, and you are not sure that it is safe to do so, Norton's pop up warning may protect your computer from harm.

You did well, and there is no need to change any settings on your firewall unless you have any further problems.

Mark

Collapse -
Mark
by Nanah / December 18, 2004 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: Nanah

Mark Thank you. I be honest I was a little worried.
But now I have another problem.
Went to Symantec to check on a potential attack. It would not open for me. The website came up with the blank screen and on the top left corner there was the Java cup. Clicked on the cup and this is what it said.
I don't know if this has any thing to do with it. Sorry this is so long. I am new to XP SP2 and NAV 2005. On my Windows 98se Pc Java was already installed.

Java(TM) Plug-in: Version 1.4.2_06
Using JRE version 1.4.2_06 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
User home directory = C:\Documents and Settings\Owner

Proxy Configuration: Manual Configuration
Proxy: http=127.0.0.1:11523
Proxy Overrides: 127.0.0.1:11523

----------------------------------------------------
c: clear console window
f: finalize objects on finalization queue
g: garbage collect
h: display this help message
l: dump classloader list
m: print memory usage
o: trigger logging
p: reload proxy configuration
q: hide console
r: reload policy configuration
s: dump system properties
t: dump thread list
v: dump thread stack
x: clear classloader cache
0-5: set trace level to <n>
----------------------------------------------------
load: class VisualRouteApplet.class not found.

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: VisualRouteApplet.class

at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)

at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(Unknown Source)

at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(Unknown Source)

at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(Unknown Source)

at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by: java.io.IOException: open HTTP connection failed.

at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(Unknown Source)

at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)

at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

... 10 more

Thank you for helping me.

Collapse -
Hi Nanah
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 18, 2004 7:40 AM PST
In reply to: Mark

Sorry to hear you're still having problems.

I wouldn't have expected Nortons to block the Java console from performing properly, but perhaps it is.

But before looking at Nortons, I have checked my own Java Console and I see that you may have to set the Java plug-in for each type of browser.

Goto Control Panel in the Start menu, and double click the Java Plug-in applet. In the Java(TM) Plug-in Control Panel click the Browser tab, and see if your browser is ticked here. If not, tick it and then click "Apply". EG, if you are using Internet Explorer, tick the Microsoft Internet Explorer box. In the "Basic" tab, make sure the "Show Java in System Tray" is not ticked. You don't want any more icons in the System Tray, (near the clock), than you already have. Close the Java control panel down.

If you are using Internet Explorer, open it up and in Tools > Internet Options, click the "Advance" tab. Scroll down until you see "java (Sun)" and make sure the box is ticked. Whilst you are there, make sure there are no boxes ticked in the Microsoft VM just below. I am given to understand that there may be security issues with the Microsoft Virtual Machine. Click "Apply"

Any changes you make under these 2 headings may bring up a message saying you must restart. Whether this is the computer or just the browser I am not sure.

Then goto the General tab, and with the green Internet globe highlighted, click the "Custom" button. Scroll down until you see Java VM. This has 3 safety settings and mine is set to Medium safety. You may have to change your settings for the Symantec site, but you can only try it and see. click OK, reboot (the computer or browser) as required, and visit the Symantec site again and see if that works.

There is a web site here;
http://www.javatester.org/configuring.html
where there is more information about Java,and where you can test your version of IE, by clicking the "Java Enabled" link on the left.

Good luck, and come back if you have any problems.

Mark

Collapse -
Hi Mark
by Nanah / December 18, 2004 9:33 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Nanah

Mark, Thank you for your time.

Checked every thing again, and it is all checked the way you said it should be.
Went to the website you provided, and did the test. This is what it said.
The Web Browser can Do Java Applets.

Went back to Symantec, and the same thing happen. Underneath the words, Trace a Potential Attack, is a gray box, left top corner is the Java cup after a while the cup turns in to a red X.

Honestly I don't know what to do any more, maybe I should just leave it alone.

Went to Pogo.com and it worked there. ?:I

Collapse -
Hi Nanah
by roddy32 / December 18, 2004 10:00 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Mark

I have been following your saga but was confused as to exactly what you are trying to do and now I understand because I went to Symantec and tried it myself but I did not let it load all the way. I don't really know why the Java Applet is not loading for you all the way but I also don't really understand why it is that you want to do this. Symantec tries to trace who the intruder is from what I gather by this test they have but I really doubt of you would know who the IP address would belong to anyway even if you DID find out. If it were me, I would just block the intrusion and not worry about where it is coming from unless I am misunderstanding as to what you are trying to do. This is what I read about it at Symantec, plus I started the test to to see what you were talking about. It just looks like a lot of work to me for something that you will probably not be able to do anything about anyway. That is just my personal opinion though. The things in bold are what I copied from Symantec.

"About Trace a Potential Attack

Trace a Potential Attack
Discover information about the network from which a potential attack originated and the geographical location of the computer that was used.

This service provides a graphical traceroute from this server to any other network device that you choose.

It can be used to:

Discover information about the network from which a potential attack originated
Identify the geographical location of an IP address
Identify the source of Spam e-mail

To use: enter the URL, host name, or IP address of the Internet device (e.g. computer, server, router) and click "Start Trace."

Collapse -
Hi Roody
by Nanah / December 18, 2004 10:34 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Nanah

Very nice of you to check this out for me. And you are right it is not important. I was just curious. Plus I wanted to try my Java out, and see if it worked.

Thank you Roody, have a good day.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You are welcome, have a nice day also. :D
by roddy32 / December 18, 2004 10:45 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Roody
Collapse -
I started this branch
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 18, 2004 9:45 PM PST

of this thread as I could see the other branch was getting too long.

CNET throws a wobbly when branches get too long, and closes the branch down, Happy

Just to agree with what Roddy says, Symantec's Trace function does seem a bit complicated. I use ZoneAlarm Professional edition, and it has a nifty feature where you can highlight an intrusion attempt in the log, click "More information", and ZA will open up a web page that gives more information on the attempt, and if you wish, will trace back the IP address of the source at the click of a Tab heading. Pretty much automated. But the trace function is not available in the free version.

Also, if you do want to check an intrusion attempt, you could try a WHOIS web site. If you Google "WHOIS Search" you will find a number of sites that will trace IP addresses.

I've done both in the past, with ZA and WHOIS, but to tell you the truth, I wasn't much the wiser.

So, I'm sorry you couldn't get the Symantec java applet to work properly, but as you say Java works on other sites, then at least you have achieved something.

Good luck,

Mark

Collapse -
Thank you Mark
by Nanah / December 18, 2004 11:52 PM PST
In reply to: I started this branch

I know it is not important check on Symantec's site to trace an attack. But I used to do it, so I was surprised that it didn't work. Thought maybe it was because I blocked the install the first time.
At least I have Java installed and it works on other sites.
Thank you again.

Happy Holidays Grin

Collapse -
java
by genos79 / December 18, 2004 10:05 PM PST

that is where i got it since microsoft dosen't support it no more it is a little hard to get to work i had to go to internet options and the advanced tab and go down the list and put a check by it to make it work good luck

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!