Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Need iPod Advice

As the title says, I need some help. I've had my iPod Touch 8gb since January and it's been fine. Lately though, the space bar in iTunes is getting smaller and smaller. I've taken off a few things that aren't needed, but eventually I'm still gonna get to the point where it's completely filled. Now the obvious solution would be to expand to a higher capacity Touches, but that is a lot of money that I'm pretty sure I don't want to spend.

My other obvious alternative would be upgrading to the iPod Classic (80gb.) I'm wondering would it be worth it to suck it up and get a 16gb or go cheaper and get a lot more space?

Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need iPod Advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need iPod Advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have more than one device

In reply to: Need iPod Advice

Yes, the iPod Touch is very expensive. You might want to hold off on a decision until early-mid September. That's when Apple announces new iPods, although I don't expect anything new, maybe just product refreshes (new colors?) and possibly price drops.

My library is around 25GB and I'm not about to shell out $500 for a 32GB Touch. I have an 8GB. While I consider the Touch to be my main player, I mainly use it for videos and a few select podcasts and music playlists. I also have an older 30GB 5.5 gen iPod that I keep my entire music library library on, just in case I'm in the mood to go deeper into my collection. I usually carry both players, which isn't too hard because being a woman, I carry a purse. If your're a guy and don't carry a bookbag or backpack, then you have to make a day to day decision whether to carry one, the other, both.

So, perhaps you should get that higher capacity iPod Classic, but just wait a little while longer. It may get cheaper or you might be able to pick up a higher capacity Touch for less than they are selling today.

Collapse -
Thanks, but...

In reply to: Have more than one device

I appreciate the advice, I really didn't know about the, "new" line of iPods. The only thing is I'm sixteen and I don't have any, "large" source of income. So I don't really have the money to shell out for ANOTHER player. Plus, my Aunt and Uncle would buy my Touch as a gift for my little cousin (don't worry people besides the unavoidable scratched back my iPod works fine) who's birthday is in early October. So, if they don't hear anything from me by then, they could get another gift for her. So that being one of the only ways to sell it, the new line cuts it kinda close to a "deadline" of sorts.

Dang, did I just make it more complicated? I'm sorry...

Anymore advice is still appreciated!

Collapse -
sorry about that

In reply to: Thanks, but...

If you told us that before, I wouldn't have been so gung ho for you to get a second player. I'm sure if you could afford it you probably would.

That is a tough one. If I were in your situation, I would probably go for the 80GB Classic. It really pains me to say it. The Touch is cool, but if carrying your entire library is important to you, that is the way you should go. If you were looking purely at dollars and "sense", the Classic is a better value. The only caveat is that watching videos on that thing doesn't work for me after having the Touch. If you don't really watch videos or you watch really short ones, you may not mind so much.

Does it have to be an iPod? You can get an 80GB Zune for the same price as the Classic, plus it has a bigger screen (though not quite as big as the Touch). It's a compromise worth considering.

Collapse -
Isn't 8GB enough to play for over a week?

In reply to: Need iPod Advice

Some start to put every title they have into the player. For me even the 1GB player is fine since that's a week's worth and I can change it later.
Bob

Collapse -
Okay

In reply to: Isn't 8GB enough to play for over a week?

Well, thanks for more of a straight forward answer. It helps, all my friends I've asked haven't really given me anything. It's funny you should mention the Zune. I actually considered getting a Zune, "Nano" for a second player for a while and even trading my Touch in for a 80gb. I've come to the conclusion I don't want a Zune at all, I'm gonna stick with Apple. As a matter of fact, I deleted the software from my computer a few days ago. Your advice really helps, it does, but it seems my odd situation seems to be crushing your solutions.

In response to Bob, that's not a bad solution, but not really the path I want to take. Thanks though!

I'm impulsive, and can get the money soon, but I don't know....September seems so far away...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.