Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Need high volume output MP3 player

by bwilbanks / April 5, 2005 11:41 PM PDT

My husband has owned several different MP3 players, and only one or two were loud enough to be heard inside his motorcycle helmet when riding. They are broken now, and they didn't have much memory anyway. Can anyone recommend a portable MP3 player with at least 256mb memory and a high volume output? We just bought an Ilo from Walmart, and it's not nearly loud enough.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need high volume output MP3 player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need high volume output MP3 player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Other option
by Jonny K / April 6, 2005 9:06 AM PDT

Instead of buying an mp3 that will hurt your ears. Get the Shure E2c Sound Isolating Earphones instead. They actually seal off the noise like an ear plug. That way you can hear your music with out hurting your ears.

Oh yeah did I mention they cost $80 Wink I still think that if you really want to solve your problem you will buy these great headphones. I want them so bad but I can't afford them and I don't need them that much.
Jonathan

Collapse -
Earphones
by chillyxpress / April 6, 2005 9:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Other option

I'd say earphones are a good idea. The in-ear type have very good isolation and are inserted right into the ear canal. Sound is great as well because of the full isolation and sound is fully encompassed inside the ear.

Collapse -
my experience on loud mp3 players
by markey / April 10, 2005 4:29 AM PDT

I use an mp3 player while running, and i have sought out the loudest players. Based on my experience, there are several well known players with power output over 15 mw per channel. This is what you need to look at. Players that I have found to be loudest are: rio cali (most rios are loud), rca lyra (most rcas are loud) and the nex IIe (sold on ebay, most nexs are loud). Among the newest players, iriver and ipod shuffle list very high outputs. Headphones also play an important role. I use a pair of sony in the ear headphones available at radio shack. When I run, I even put my headband over the headphone to keep it in place. Not great for your eardrums though.

Collapse -
boosters
by markey / April 10, 2005 4:38 AM PDT

you can also use a portable power booster, basically an external amplifier. Radio shack has one, and I've also seen a much cheaper and smaller one on the internet, the "boostaroo."

Collapse -
NEX IIe
by EaglePatrol / April 10, 2005 6:54 AM PDT

I have tried multiple MP3 players and found that the Frontier Labs NEX IIe seems to be the loudest so far. Besides that, it's a great Player - very underrated!

Collapse -
Do be daft
by DrPop5467 / March 9, 2007 10:27 PM PST
In reply to: NEX IIe

Don't play music loud or you will go deaf. You need to block outsied noise with an isolating earphone. I use a soundwise G3 which I hightly recommend. There is lots of others though, just type in google. It will be alot cheaper than a hearing aid in a few years.

Collapse -
How about if I'm already deaf, . . . Dr. self-righteous?
by kapena nemo / March 20, 2010 11:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Do be daft

My father is 94.
He can't hear anything that's not shouted from three feet away.
For him to listen to TV requires that the volume is loud enough to drive everyone else with normal hearing from the room.
He doesn't tolerate the earmuff style earphones at all.

Result, he doesn't watch much TV or listen to the stereo out of courtesy to others.
He gets bored, not hearing normal conversations, and sleeps a lot.

He has become terribly isolated as a result.

I need a player which can put the music right in his head.
We aren't worried about hurting his ear drums which were severely damaged flying over England and Europe in warplanes against Germany between 1941, and 1945.

I just want him to be able to again enjoy a good piano concerto.

If blasting him with a heavy duty player is the way, where is the harm?

What pray tell is daft about that?

So bring on the recommendations which will help me "rock" his ears.

Nemo

Collapse -
Loudest or Best sounding MP3 player
by briantrease / April 11, 2010 8:48 AM PDT

The Cowon Line of MP3 players have the best output (37mW per channel). Plus, they have what is called, BBE+ sound enhancements which allows you to custom design the sound to your taste by having nearly 30 sound setting combinations.
The three that I like are the Cowon D2+, The Cowon IAudio 7, and the S9, all have over 50 hours of music battery life. Too bad places like FRY's and Best Buy don't carry them, they will outsell Zune and Apple products once people understood the quality of sound these products produce.

Collapse -
I need a high volume MP3 player
by sfly / December 26, 2010 10:50 PM PST

I also need a high volume MP3 player...but I need it because I am using it in conjunction with my 3 different Philips portable speakers.

My old Creative Zen didn't have good enough volume I think. How about the new X-Fi versions....they play higher?

Otherwise I heard Philips and some other had high volume MP3 players.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.