HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need helping looking for an Internet connection repair prog

by mehicd2 / February 14, 2008 12:37 PM PST

This has been a long issue with my computer for more then a couple of years now. I am on a standard DSL cable network (source internet computer. routing to another computer in another bedroom)

The issue is that frequently, at least once a week, the internet connection drops for no random reasons. All cables are snug in their sockets and it appears no physical reasoning is causing the drop. Before, I used a program called Network Magic which has a "repair internet" feature in it that basically did some unknown things to "jump start" your internet connection. This worked 100% of the time and indeed it proved that it is a strange internal issue.

The program is, the developers for the program rolled out a mandatory update for the program that all trial users (infinite trial with restricted actions) that removes even more features for the program, and makes repairing internet connection a pay feature. So, I am no longer saved by that.

So basically, concluding everything, I am just looking for a program that has an "internet jump start" ability in it. The Internet Explorer 7 has something that LOOKS to be similar when a page refuses to be load (diagnose connection problem) but it does not work at all.

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need helping looking for an Internet connection repair prog
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need helping looking for an Internet connection repair prog
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It seems you already found such a program.
by Kees Bakker / February 14, 2008 5:11 PM PST
Collapse -
microsoft offers one
by jconner / February 15, 2008 3:48 AM PST
Collapse -
software
by mehicd2 / February 15, 2008 9:21 AM PST
In reply to: microsoft offers one

Thanks for trying to help but that is already an addition that is packed with Internet Explorer 7 (I have it).

Its the same thing I've talked about in my original post, and it doesn't do the trick.

Collapse -
Does the other method work? (supplied in post)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 15, 2008 9:52 AM PST
In reply to: software
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.
Collapse -
thanks
by mehicd2 / February 16, 2008 5:05 AM PST

I'll jot that down and see if it does the trick the next time I have a network outage.

Or I may just consider forking over $30 and buying Network Magic for its "repair connection" feature.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.