General discussion

Need help with Voip business solutions

My maximum business runs on telephone. I have heard about Voip, so want to know more about it. There are around 25 employees in my company is it worth taking any Voip business solutions? What are the different solutions?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Need help with Voip business solutions
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need help with Voip business solutions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: VOIP

In essence, VOIP is phoning over the LAN (internally) and Internet (externally) in stead of over a dedicated phone network. Of course, it needs software to run and be managed.

You can either use it as a service offered by a VOIP provider or install the necessary software on your own server.

The user side has even more variants:
- you can buy fully equipped VOIP phones that look and work just like standard phones but plug in into your local network on its own (like a network printer or network storage)
- you can use a headphone and software (to dial and forward and choose a number from the phonebook or dial the current customer whose phonenumber is on the screen) on each PC; skype is a basic consumer oriented example of such an application

You can even mix: use VOIP software and hardware internally, and connect it to your current PABX to handle incoming and outgoing calls via the POTS (plain old telephone system). Or the other way around: use your traditional phones, but replace your PABX by a VOIP one.

Obviously, the optimal use of such technology (of all technology in fact) depends on the circumstances. The best thing to do is to contact a few local companies and let their sales person make an offer for hardware, sofware and services that optimally suit your need.

I'm expecting a view spam answers advocating a particular company as the best for you, but clearly that can't be said without researching your specific situation.

Best of luck mith your business.

Kees

- Collapse -
Re: Voip business solutions

Voip is nothing but referred as internet telephonic in simple term. In other words Voip is simply the transmission of voice traffic over IP-based networks. Company's strength is never and important factor for opting for Voip business solutions. I also run a business which has 35 employees and I am currently using Voip business solutions offered by Sterling Communications. See if this helps you.

- Collapse -
Re: Voip

Yep, such a company is what I meant with "local". They are located in Portland, Oregon, USA.

Although, of course, much of it will go via Internet once operational, the OP might prefer a company that's located more near-by if he's operating in, say, New Zealand, the UK, Canada, or even Florida, Alaska or California. You might like to talk to a sales person or a consultant, you might like a service contract for dedicated hardware and all of those aspects are much easier handled with a local company.

Kees

CNET Forums

Forum Info