Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Need Help with Viruses, Maintenance & System Restore

by Marie Power / July 28, 2006 8:42 PM PDT

I just want to say I've been lucky in all the years I've had desktops not to get a virsus. My computer has been freezing (locking up), running extremely slow, won't let me have more than 1-2 applications going at a time and also when I have internet explorer to either go to a website or type something in the address bar or search bar it will start to download then blink it closes.

I called the person who works on the computers where I work and he said it was a virsus and would take 3 hours to fix if it can be fixed and would also have to do a system restore.

Here is what I did. First I went to Norton and did live updates then ran a full system scan then went and downloaded Ad-Aware Personal and did that then downloaded TuneUp Utilities 2006 and did 1Click Maintenance. My question is do I now need to do a system restore and if not how do you know when you need to do a system restore?

These are the rest of my questions. First what type of maintainance do I need to do on a weekly basis and what type of maintenance on a monthly basis? Also do I just do what I did in my 3rd paragraph or do I also need to do a disk cleanup, scan disk and disk defragmentor and if so how often? Basically I just need a check list of what to do and how often.

Thanks so much for all of the help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Help with Viruses, Maintenance & System Restore
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Help with Viruses, Maintenance & System Restore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please Help
by Marie Power / July 28, 2006 11:24 PM PDT

I really could use some help. If I've posted in the wrong area please let me know and I'll repost in the right section.

Collapse -
what were the results of
by dawillie / July 29, 2006 12:28 AM PDT
'First I went to Norton and did live updates then ran a full system scan then went and downloaded Ad-Aware Personal and did that then downloaded TuneUp Utilities 2006 and did 1Click Maintenance'.

if you are clean, no need to do System Restore.

as to maintenance a scan disc and defrag, now would not hurt.

daily maintenance, should involve ensuring your AV definitions are current and you are set to auto scan.

also as you have not mentioned your O/S except for the fact that is is a desktop, cannot offer any further, except you could I suppose use a firewall.

Based on the scanty tech info you have provided that is all I can suggest.
Collapse -
your other post posted here.
by dawillie / July 29, 2006 1:48 AM PDT
'I have a Compaq Presario Model SR1300NX with 3000+AMD Sempron, 256mb ddr sdram memory, 60gb hard drive and CD-RW drive. If there is anything else just let me know'.

Need to know two things,

1. what is your Operating System?

2. what were the results of scan?

Will be away for a few hours but will respond and with hopefully a better plan than in previous post.

David
Collapse -
your other post responded to here.
by dawillie / July 29, 2006 6:12 AM PDT

you need to keep all responses in the same thread.

your post stated

'Answer to questions
I have Windows XP Home. The results of the scan did not show any viruses but its still acting up. Even as I type this response the line you get when you type is moving is shaking. Hope this information all helps'

Does not sound like a virus problem to me.

Seems like a hardware issue.

You may want to post this in our XP forum, to see if there is some reason for this occurring.

Suggest if still under warranty to take it to where it was purchased.

David Williams

Collapse -
Sorry about putting to wrong post
by Marie Power / July 29, 2006 6:16 AM PDT

I'm knew to using forums. Thank you for taking time to help me. I will repost as you suggested at the XP forum.

Collapse -
a lot of newcomers do this, so no prob.
by dawillie / July 29, 2006 10:13 AM PDT

been thinking about screen flickering and feel convinced it is a hardware issue.

I mean you can do a System Restore to a prior date, but not sure if that will resolve the issue.

Please post solution once you have found one.

David Williams

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.