General discussion

Need help with transferring components

I have recently switched my old components into a new case that I purchased from Newegg.com, and I have encountered serious problems now. First of all, when I put everything back in the new case and connected all the cables, everything else was working (PCI, drives...etc) except my PS2. Secondly, after messing around with the motherboard for a while, my HD turned out not so good either. I kept receiving a message of "CMOS error - Defaults loaded" then it stoped at that point.

I figure that I can get the PS2 connection back on by re-installing the motherboard's driver, but can anyone help me recove my HD? I believe I have made all the right connections, any kind of help will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Joe

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Need help with transferring components
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need help with transferring components
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
What's a PS2?????/

maybe explain what "messing around" with the mobo means in a little detail.

How is the hard drive and the CMOS error related? What makes you say that the hard drive has problems.

Can you boot up and get into the BIOS, or does the CMOS error come up first?

Might try a new CMOS battery, just to eliminate it.

No chance that the mobo got mounted such that it is shoting to the mounting plate???

- Collapse -
More details

By messing around the mobo, I meant by switching around (add/remove) the drives the PCI cards. And I did get the BIOS when I booted it up, it has found the CPU, the DVD+/-RW, the DVD ROM, the HD and everything else. But after detecting the IDEs, a message showed up by saying that "No keyboard detected" then "CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded," and it forze up.

I thought it was HD related, apparently it's not. Sorry if I can't get everything straight, I'm still a newb when it comes down to the hardwares. But any more detailed help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Joe

- Collapse -
Sorry, I forgot to check

back on this thread. I would guess that you have continued trying things.

The no keyboard MAY be that you haved a USB keyboard. Earlier systems would not detect a USB device until the Op Sys was up.

Have you tried a new CMOS battery?? They are only a couple of bucks.

The loss of the PS2 ports, both of them worry me because of the amount of handling the moving of the mobo caused. But is you can use USB keyboard and mouse, no big loss.

Can you get into the BIOS or does it freeze before you can hit whatever key it takes to get in. Of course with no keyboard you can't push a key. Quite a quandry.

- Collapse -
New decision

I do not intend to mess with that board nor the battery anymore. I am simply going to get another mobo regarding this problem, since this mobo is around 4 yrs old anyway. I saw one mobo that is suitable for AMD athlon XP made by PC Chips on Newegg.com. Can anyone verify for me if that board is considerable? B/c budget is a factor, and that board only cost around 24 bucks w/o shipping.

Sincerely,
Joe

- Collapse -
Used 4 PC chips mobos and AMD's .

in the last year. No real problems but it is NOT an overclockers mobo which is fine for normal use. [for their price , one wouldn't expect anything but a basic mobo].

They all came with the CMOS jumpers on the pins that keep the CMOS disabled. The manual is correct as far as the pin functions, just that they ship with the jumper in the wrong position. With the jumper in the wrong position, the power supply won't even turn on.

- Collapse -
THX

Thanks for the heads up. I have read all the reviews regarding this particular MB on Newegg.com, there were a lot of positive feedbacks but there were definitely some people just absolutely hated it.

Well, it's too late for me to cancel the order now, since they have already shipped it out. And Newegg is known for their restocking fees. Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted when I get that new MB.

Thanks for all the info by the way.

Sincerely,
Joe

- Collapse -
Regarding PS/2

And by PS/2 I meant where you can connect the keyboard and the mouse without using the USB port.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) pc chips mb have been known to be problematic

CNET Forums

Forum Info