Cameras forum

General discussion

Need help with the Color Swap and Color Accent modes in A540

I had bought the A540 after a long thread with the moderator.. Thanks a lot with that.. I am rally happy with my decision to with the A540.. Its an awesome camera and i could take crispy clear photos with it.. I only have one problem... I'm not able to figure out hoe to use the Color Accent and the Color Swap mode... I tried a lot but its not working as i want it to..

My prob is the accent mode, give color to only a very little part of the photo and i'm not able to choose as to which part of the photo to throw the color on and which part to remain in Black and white.. Somebody please tell me how this works..

And the color swap i'm totally failing.. Please help...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with the Color Swap and Color Accent modes in A540
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with the Color Swap and Color Accent modes in A540
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Color Accent Mode

In reply to: Need help with the Color Swap and Color Accent modes in A540

I believe you are expecting that command to do something like this example:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v159/randol9p9/EdSaldana.jpg

And it does not work that way.

The Accent mode lets you take a color (neither an object nor an area of the photo) and retain that color.
i.e. if some one is wearing a bright red hat, you would pick that color as the accent and the hat would remain red but the remainder of the photo will be black and white.

Instructions are on page 60 of the User's Manual.

If what you want is something like the example photo I posted, that has to be done with software.

I didn't do that particular photo but I have done some similar.
I use Adobe Photoshop Elements and it is pretty easy to do.
With that software package you select the object or objects that you want to remain in color,
then invert the selection and
then remove color from the remainder.

Collapse -
My problem..

In reply to: Color Accent Mode

I got what you want to say.. Even the user manual tells me how the color accent works..Now lemme explain my prob more in detail.. Once i tried to use this mode shooting an indoor shot in my hall.. There were a lot of things lying.. I focused on a red hat and wanted that to remain in color and wanted the background to look black and white.. But in turn the yellow vaccum cleaner stayed in red and the rest including the hat was in black and white.. Now my question .. How do you select the object to retain its color..

Also tell me about the color Swap option.. How does that work.. Not what it does but please tell me how it works..

Collapse -
A correction..

In reply to: My problem..

In the above post i had mentioned about the Yellow Vaccum clearner... Well it didnt change the color to RED but what i meant was that it remained to be the only object in color though not the hat which i wanted.. Another instance.. An outdoor shot which i saw through my window.. A red sports car was parked in fron of my house and i wanted to use the color accent mode to highlight it in the pictire.. But when i focussed it, It turned out that the leaves over the tree in front of the house where in color aqnd the car had turned Black and White.. Now All i want is to choose the subject thast i want to stay in color.. And again How does the color swap work???

Please help..
Thanks..

Collapse -
Color

In reply to: A correction..

I am no expert on this and I don't have that camera to play with.
The instructions warn you that this is trial and error, so you may have to tinker with it a bit.

In your example where the trees stayed in color and the red car did not, indicates that you never did select the red color. Because the camera uses green as its default color.

I have the feeling you are trying to do all of this while hand-holding the camera. I suggest you have the camera sitting on something so that it does not move around while you are pressing buttons.

You have to be in the color accent mode.
Point the camera so that the red hat/car is in the center of the LCD.

Then press the left arrow button to capture the red color to camera memory.

Then use the up/down arrow to set the value to -5. This restricts the color to only the red you want. If there are several shades of red, you may have to set the setting somewhere between -5 and +5 so that the other shades of red are picked up.

Then press Display to complete the operations.
Then take the picture.

Again, I suggest you do all of this with the camera sitting in one spot. Using a tripod would be a good idea.

The final photo should show the red object as red and the rest of the photo black/white.

The color swap mode is very similar to the color accent.
The purpose is to change one color to another.
i.e. a person wearing a yellow shirt.....change the shirt to red.
The rest of the photo stays its normal color.

Here you have to select the yellow shirt and then find something red and point the camera at that red color and select it.
Again you have the option to adjust the range of the color by using from -5 to +5.

This same thing can be done with a good photo software package.
Even then it may takes several tries to get it right.

Collapse -
I'll try

In reply to: Color

Ok thanks for the suggestions.. I'll try it out a few time.. Hopefully i would learn to perfect it.. Anyways thanks a lot..

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.