HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

need help with surround sound to hdtv.

by ford376 / April 17, 2011 3:14 AM PDT

i got a STR-k6800p sony surround sound receiver and i want to hook it up to a samsung series 5000 LED HDTV. i hooked up the dvd , TV and surround sound and it worked but i can't get the surround sound to work with the tv. any help? i dont understand this. im not very familiar with the s-video or optical ouput yet. so i tried to make it work with regular RCA cables. and i just dont understand it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need help with surround sound to hdtv.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need help with surround sound to hdtv.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
what do you have hooked up?
by givemeaname / April 17, 2011 3:39 AM PDT

Cable box, OTA or a Sat. box?

do not use s-video, that is so earlies 90's.
optical or AKA Toslink is just plug & play, you may have to asign the port on the reciever but that is it.

Collapse -
help with surround sound to HDTV
by ford376 / April 17, 2011 4:44 AM PDT

by cable box im guessing you mean cable tv? i do not have any cables besides the red, white, yellow, green,blue and orange other than that i dont have HDMI cable which i know i need but i was just trying to make sure that i had audio 1st. like i said, i can get surround sound with the dvd player but i want it to work with the tv and the DVD player or whatever else i hook up to it. the surround sound receiiver does not have a HDMI input it only has component ,optical , the regular red white and yellow and coaxial and im not familiar with that so . ya. do i need to get a new reciever? or can i buy cables to make this work?

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
well
by givemeaname / April 17, 2011 6:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
oh...
by givemeaname / April 17, 2011 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: well

yes cable box, there is 2 ways to get cable with a cable box or with-out a cable box.
Sounds like you have a old box, give your cable company a call & tell them you need a newer box, one that at lease has a Toslink out or better yet a HDMI port in addition too the toslink port, more ports gives you more options, tell them the old box is not compatiable with your new set up.

Collapse -
help with surround sound to HDTV
by ford376 / April 17, 2011 11:30 AM PDT

im kinda confusd on what the cable box has to do with the surround reciever and the TV? i have the cable wire going into the jack into the back of the tv and what does toslink mean? sorry im new to all this lol. i will look into a new reciever though. so what kind of cables do you suggest i get then? monstor? or doesn't it matter? i want good sound not crappy.

Collapse -
You need a cable box..
by givemeaname / April 17, 2011 12:50 PM PDT

to get anything over 2.0 audio from a cable company, OTA (Over The Air) you can get 5.1 via coxal when setup right.

Cable coaxial>Cable box>Reciever>TV

Toslink = Fiber optic This will give you Max 5.1 surrond sound (none HD) or 2.0 PCM
HDMI you can get up to 7.1 HD audio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCM_audio

Cables: say No to Monster Cables.. here is where most of us get their cables..

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp
OR
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

For recievers make sure you get one that can convert 2.0 audio to 5.1, the brands I listed will all do that.
Note not everything on tv is 5.1 audio, mostly the primetime stuff & even then it still maybe 2.0. You may also have to upgrade to a HD package to get 5.1 audio, you will have to call your provider to see if your current package delivers 5.1 audio.

Start with getting a cable box & find out about your packages' audio, if it is limited to 2.0 or can do 5.1.

Collapse -
This why we need an EDIT BUTTON
by givemeaname / April 17, 2011 2:29 PM PDT

For the DVD player, you need to run a Toslink from the DVD player to the reciever, then in the reciever menu you need to assign the port so you get 5.1 audio. This then limits you to one more 5.1 option with your current reciever. The green,blue and orange cables run those direct to the tv for better PQ.

That is why you want a Cable Box also then you can hook the toslink out to that one last Toslink port on your current reciever. Then you can use your surround sound system for audio if you want for your cable & depending on your cable package you may also get 5.1 from your cable.

Collapse -
just want to clarify...
by givemeaname / April 17, 2011 3:16 PM PDT

why I was talking about Cable right of the bat..
You said in the OP that you hooked up the DVD player to the receiver & it worked, to me that was you had the surround sound working on that part but you where not getting surround sound with your tv, that bit I was reading it as your cable or satilite "TV" surround sound (cable in your case) NOT your DVD player since you said it was working before.
So there was some miscommunication but you should stil look into getting a cable box & at some point look into a new receiver because of it's lack of inputs.

Collapse -
Answer
Take a look at this;
by ahtoi / April 18, 2011 3:44 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.