Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Need help with retrieving data on second hard drive

I have a second hard drive that I put all my backup on. I have put all my programs on it which includes all emails and games and everything else that I have. Something happened a few days ago that will not allow me to read all things on this second drive. I can read about 10 items when I click on drive D. Properties of this drive shows that it is 80% full but I cannot access 90 % of it. On my main drive I erased the entire drive and reinstalled Windows XP Pro which is working fine. There was no power outage or unusual shut down that caused this so I am baffled why I can read about 10 items but cannot open the rest. Your help greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with retrieving data on second hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with retrieving data on second hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Need help with retrieving data on second hard drive

In reply to: Need help with retrieving data on second hard drive

Get a KNOPPIX CD and see if your files can be retrieved.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Need help with retrieving data on second hard drive

Thanks a lot. I ordered one for ten bucks and will try it. I have cable but download would still take 24 hours.

Collapse -

Something happened a few days ago that will not allow me to read all things on this second drive. I can read about 10 items when I click on drive D

What happened ? If you have bad sectors, the KNOPPIX CD is unlikely to help you, but try anyway.
Collapse -

I don't know what happened. I wasn't in the area. The wife was. I tried knoppix with no success. I then went to a Runtime program that was suggested and had lots of luck pulling out info from the corrupted drive but still I could not get all the info. The runtime program would show thousands of files but without a name and they would not open. The files that I could retrieve had the correct names on them so that I could tell what they were. Thanks Bob

Collapse -
Try these "free" programs

In reply to: Need help with retrieving data on second hard drive

Collapse -
Re: Try these "free" programs

In reply to: Try these "free" programs

Thank you very much. These programs did the trick. They still didn't pull all info out of the corrupted hard drive but they did pull enough.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.