Storage forum

Alert

Need help with Random Access Memory

by Patronage187 / June 7, 2011 5:21 PM PDT

is there anyway that i can download more RAM for my computer mine is running low, i only have 6GB/16GB remaining on my computer. Also is there anyway that i can make it so its not Random, and make it where it access what i want to access.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with Random Access Memory
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with Random Access Memory
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: random access memory
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 7, 2011 5:34 PM PDT

- You can't download memory. But you can buy it in your favorite computer shop.

- What do you mean with 6GB/16GB left? How much do you have in total? How do you measure the total and what's left?

- Are you sure you mean RAM? Somehow, I guess you mean hard disk space. But you can't download that either. You have to buy and install and start using either a second hard disk (if possible in your computer) or a bigger one to replace the current one. But quite a lot of people find it better to throw away (clean) a lot of data they don't need so they don't have to buy another disk.

- Random just means you can access whatever you want immediately. Compare it with a music cassette tape and your mp3-library in iTunes. To listen to any mp3 in iTunes, just click on it. To listen to a specific song on a cassette tape you need time to fast forward or backward to locate it. That library is "random" and that tape isn't.

Kees

Collapse -
huh...u sure bro?
by Patronage187 / June 7, 2011 5:45 PM PDT

Well i contacted my local computer hardware shop, and the female there told me i could download more of this said RAM.

Collapse -
Re: RAM
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 7, 2011 5:51 PM PDT
In reply to: huh...u sure bro?

Yes, I'm sure. 16 GB RAM is VERY much. How do you measure that 16 GB and 10 GB? What program do you use to find out?
My netbook has 1 GB RAM, my XP PC 2 GB and my brand new Windows 7 PC has 4 GB, and that's more than enough (I never use more than 2 GB as shown by Task Manager).

But you might be interested in an upgrade to USB 2.0 in stead of the old USB 1.0. Much faster.

And no, you can't program it (whatever "it" is) in a macro.

Kees

Collapse -
RAM in today's system is PHYSICAL so 'ain't no way you
by VAPCMD / June 8, 2011 10:54 AM PDT

can download it'. You have to insert/install it in a DIMM slot on the mainboard/motherboard.

The good news is it's relatively inexpensive and you can get it from your favorite local PC retailer or online vendor ....like Crucial.com, Newegg.com, etc.,

If you post your specs....PC Mfg name, series and model number....like 'HP Pavilion e1610n' maybe we can make some additional recommendations.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!