Computer Help forum

Question

Need help with RAM

by sprayin99 / February 18, 2013 3:26 PM PST

So I'm playing around with this old boat anchor I had out in my garage and came across a problem I have never seen before. The unit is a HP Pavilion a1328x, has an ASUS P5RC-LA mobo, pentium 4 3.06 GHz, and the factory installed 512MB ddr2 pc4200 240 pin DIMM. Chipset is ATI Radeon Xpress 200 for Intel Processors, and bios is phenox-award.

Some back ground, this thing was bricked got it at a yard sale for 5 bucks a while back, ended up being the hard drive, so I purchased a 500Gig to replace the 80 factory jobber, installed, then loaded a fresh copy of xp professional sp3, everything worked. I went over to the HP site and re-downloaded and updated all drivers, now running version 3.08 in the bios. Everything works great. I decide I want to install more ram, go to crucial site enter info and got that I needed 2 x 1GB DDR2 PC5300 Un buffered, no ecc. I go to best buy and pick up som PNY ram in the correct configuration, put on my trusty ground strap and install.

Here is the problem:
Power it up and no bios no os, just constant steady beeping and a black screen, also the cooling fan for the cpu is turning a billion rpm like its overheating. I immediatly shut it off, discharge power, remove one of the two new sticks, restart, and same result... I remove the new ram and re-install the factory one, starts up no issue.

Also I tested the new ram on another junker I had lying around, was an old dell, the ram works on that one. I have never seen this before.

Any Ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with RAM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with RAM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Ram is ram......not
by Bob__B / February 18, 2013 9:02 PM PST
In reply to: Need help with RAM

Some machines get quite fussy about this stuff.

That's where Crucial is nice.......they do the homework.

Two sticks of ram at the same speed/type/voltage can be quite different in their innards.

Collapse -
Answer
You pay your money and take your chances....with older PCs
by VAPCMD / February 19, 2013 7:01 AM PST
In reply to: Need help with RAM

it's usually better to use sources like Crucial. If you'd put PC4200 in it, it would probably have worked. But when you want to go faster and push it to the next (higher) level, it gets trickier. Sometimes it works and others it just doesn't. Crucial does it best to take the unwelcome surprise out of the picture as not all RAM is equal no matter how you slice it.

Option 1.... go back to Best Buy and get the PC4200 (2 @ 1GB) or
Option 2....order the 2 @1 GB kit (PC5300) from a vendor like Crucial

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Pavilion%20a1328x&Cat=RAM

Let us know how it works out.

VAPCDM

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.