Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need help with psu/graphics card pcie cords

by SpaceMan_XF / November 20, 2014 12:15 PM PST

So I have a Seasonic 620w 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular Atx power supply and just got my new Evga Gtx 970 4gb 2.0 Superclocked graphics card. I looked into my manual and it tells me to plug in a 6 pin pcie cord and an 6/8 pcie cord but when I look on my card I have two 6 pin slots. So I figured I would try my two 6/8 pin pcie cords(that came with psu) and just plug in 6 pin each side. When I tried booting my computer wouldn't even power up so I immediately unplugged everything. Second try I use just one 6/8 pin pcie cord without the extra 2 pins and it boots but displays the message "plug in additional power cords.' Once again I unplug everything and try to add the additional 2 pins but they just don't seem to fit. I was sent two 6 pin pcie cords but they're some type of adapter that I'm not familiar with. I'm wondering what cords I should be looking for so I can get my baby up and running again. Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with psu/graphics card pcie cords
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with psu/graphics card pcie cords
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So the 6 pin cord that comes with the card...
by Oldartq / November 20, 2014 3:31 PM PST

is what you need to use. The thing here is to find out where the adapter connection should fit into. So how about give us a description of it.

Collapse -
Hmm
by SpaceMan_XF / November 20, 2014 10:42 PM PST

Both of them are about 2-3 inches long and they split into two 3 pin plug ins. I think they might be lp4 to 6 pin pcie power adapters.

Collapse -
2-3 inches wide but...
by Oldartq / November 21, 2014 1:22 AM PST
In reply to: Hmm

only 3 pins, I just can't picture that in my mind. Strange looking to be sure.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?