Phones forum

General discussion

need help with new pda purchase

by barnabus / September 18, 2005 12:25 AM PDT

I have a palm tungsten e that was dropped when I first purchased it and after 2 years is finally getting dysfunctional. In the past, I added a memory card to it and it seemed to slow it down alot. I mainly use it for my job, I have several programs on it. I do not require wi-fi or really blue tooth. I am looking for a palm os pda to replace it with and hope to have it a little faster on the programs/maybe drop the memory card? Any suggestions on a pda that will convert from my tungsten e easily the programs I have downloaded on it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need help with new pda purchase
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need help with new pda purchase
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Have you looked at the e2?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2005 1:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
new pda E2
by barnabus / September 18, 2005 3:37 AM PDT

I have read about it, seemed to add bluetooth to the package but not boost the memory. Looked like the processor would be faster. Thought about the Tungsten T5 because it seemed to have a lot of memory but read someone had difficulty transfering programs to it and alluded to a lot of design problems with it. Would the E2 be an easy transfer of program files, this was my first PDA (tungsten e) and have never transfered programs to a new one yet. Would the E2 be faster than the E as far as programs on the memory card processing (seems to take a lot longer to change pages). Most of my programs are just books. Would it be more reliable than the T5? I would also buy a non Palm model if needed. Just don't want to go to a PC operating system because of all the palm os software I have.

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2005 4:09 AM PDT
In reply to: new pda E2

We use the E2 for field setup of some industrial controllers. Reliability seems fine to me. But as some have issues, I can't offer any guarantees. I have the following models on my desk here. m100, IIIc, Vx, T2, Zire 72 and a Treo 90. They all work fine and as a software writer I've learned to work around the quirks. If your software is quirky, then report back to the author so they can fix it.

The newer models do seem faster to me.

Bob

Collapse -
Purchased the E2 but having problems with setup
by barnabus / September 19, 2005 6:43 AM PDT

Thanks I purchased a tungsten e2, but my old e would not beam to it or and the data on pc would not hotsync the old data, so I manually put in the old calendar and my contacts on palmdestop again. When I hotsync however it does not retrieve the data on the desktop and put it on the palm. I made a forum question on the palm customer site page since they have no email or phone customer service. Any suggestions? My old memos did not come over either when I swithched over, these are numerous and I don't know if they are going to get manually put in.

Collapse -
Return it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2005 11:38 AM PDT

Sorry to hear your woes. My e2 just works fine. Some forget to enable the IRDA, install the newer hotsync software but there can be dead on arrival units. Since I deal with dozens of models and many units, we can swap around units to find the dead ones.

Bob

Collapse -
checks to perform
by ackmondual / September 20, 2005 4:25 AM PDT

make sure the beam receive is on for the E2. Set it in prefs.

Right Click (RC) the hotsync icon in the system tray (bottom right for most windows users), click custom, and make sure the conduits are set correctly. Have the handheld overwrite the desktop if the info is on the E2 and vice versa.

BTW, why didn't u consider getting another T|E? The T|E2 only offers BT and the NVFS RAM which still remains if battery goes out. It doesn't seem like u need those features. Other improvements are nice but minor.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.