General discussion

Need help with my stupid crappy laptop please

this is the second problem ive had with this laptop since i got it like 3 weeks ago. when i boot my hp netbook it shows me that it is missing the file <windows root\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. i am reading forum after forum on other sites about this and they say to boot through a recovery system on my windows disk. but thats the problem i dont have my disk. im only 14 years old and obviously not experienced. if you need any more information just ask me. please reply with a simple easy solution for this problem as soon as possible.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Need help with my stupid crappy laptop please
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need help with my stupid crappy laptop please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Is this a new computer?

Hi there.

Is this a new laptop? I ask because you mention you only got it 3 weeks ago.

If so, I would guess that most of the advice you will receive here would be to contact the makers/suppliers. It is under warranty, and if they have supplied a system that is not working, then they must put it right. Anything we suggest may void the warranty.

I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but with new systems we nearly always get the suppliers to fix them.

Good luck.

Mark

- Collapse -
Re: warranty

If it ran, and suddenly a critical file was deleted, I don't think it's a warranty issue, as Mark suggested.

It could be repaired from your Windows disc, if you have such. If you don't the only option seems to do a full system recovery back to factory conditions. The manuals should tell you how to do that. If not, contact HP customer support. The usual options are:
1. Boot from the recovery CD that came with the PC.
2. Boot from the recovery CD they had you made (but that's not likely with a netbook without a burner).
3. Boot from the recovery partition by pressing some unusual key combination (like Dell's ctrl-F11) early in the boot process.

Kees

- Collapse -
Another vote for take it back

Another vote for taking it back. Probably too late to return it outright, but even if were a refurb with a 90 day warranty, you'd still be well within that time.

Call up HP, make them fix it.

- Collapse -
Contact HP...

I agree with the others. If it is laptop that is only 3 weeks old (and you bought it new) then I assume it is still under some sort of warranty and you should get help from HP.

Let us know what you find out...

Cassandra

- Collapse -
Thanks everyone

I guess i will just go use the warranty. another thing for kees to know that i was to stupid to put in the original post was that the earlier problem i had with it the first time was thast when i booted it would say that the startup failed so all the options such as safe mode and all of those popped and no matter which on i chose it would load, flash a blue screen, and restart so i got my friend step dad to reinstall windows. after doing this i downloaded 1 driver from a flash drive for the LAN to work again so i could go on the internet again and get the rest ad then i got this error. i dont no if that means anything but i got the driver off of the actual hp website so i dont understand what it could have done. this doesnt mean anything i know but i just thought it was curious to say the least. i honestly would just like to know why this happened if anyone has the time and patience to explain.

- Collapse -
Blue screen errors

Blue screen errors, can only be caused by either a bad driver or bad hardware (or both). Since it's HP we're talking about here, both of those are distinct possibilities. Have a friend with an HP desktop who has been cursing Vista for years, and just recently he traced his problems to a buggy HP printer driver. I wish you luck trying to figure out the cause of your problems.

- Collapse -
Stupid Crappy Laptop

Has your laptop always had this problem, or do you think you did something that caused it? Usually you can simply go to my computer/control panel/ System/ System restore, (May be under action center, you did not say what OS you are running, and my crystal ball is broken.) and select a time which is before you got your hands on the laptop. By the way, there ain't no 14 year old guitar legends. Dream on MacDuff

CNET Forums

Forum Info