Cameras forum

General discussion

Need help with my Nikon L1 card..

by josimlt / September 15, 2006 5:19 AM PDT

HI, i'm new here and i need some help with my card.
My camera is a NIKON L1.
When I first inserted the silicon power 1gb ultima2 card i saw "this card cannot be used". Then i formatted it with FAT32 and still i get the same error. Can someone tell me what i am doing wrong please? and by the way, does the Nikon L1 support a 2GB memory, if yes what FAT should i use to format it?

Pls explain everthing clear and simple as i am new to digital cameras and memory cards.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with my Nikon L1 card..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with my Nikon L1 card..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Format
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 15, 2006 7:17 AM PDT

You should only format the card with your camera.

I downloaded a copy of the L1 User's Manual and it discusses formatting on page 46 of the manual.

I don't know if a 2GB memory card will work on the L1.
Camera makers seldom publish such information, because new cards are coming on the market all the time.

You will need to contact Nikon to find out for sure.

Note: If you bought the card on the Internet from a non-trusted source .... be aware that some counterfeit cards are being sold.

Collapse -
cannot format it in the camera...
by josimlt / September 15, 2006 5:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Format

HI, Thanks alot for your reply.

When i insert the card in the camera i see "this card cannot be used" and the camera sort of freezes, which means that i cannot format it in the camera.(i can't do anything)

When i used a card reader, the card worked perfectly on the PC.

I bought the card from ebay. It was included with the camera. I don't think that it was a fraud or somehting because their feedback is 99.5%.

I went to a camera store and the sales man told me that the card doesn't fit with camera. I asked if there was a fault with the camera but he said that if the camera was faulty there will be the "system error"
Is it true?
Unfortunately he couldn't let me try other cards becasue they were sealed.

Is there anything i can do?

Thanks.

Collapse -
Memory card
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 15, 2006 11:39 PM PDT

If the man at the camera store says it does not fit with the camera, I would take that to mean that you do not have a SD card.

That Nikon uses SD memory cards.

What type of card do you have?
Also what is the name brand printed on the card?

I would spend a few dollars and buy a smaller capacity SD card and try it in the camera.

You should be able to find 256MB SD cards for about $25. If there is a Staples store near you, try there.
They frequently have memory cards on-sale.

You should also contact the company that sold you the card and inform them that it is defective or the wrong type of card.

It is not uncommon to get a defective memory card.
Especially from the Internet.

Collapse -
it is an SD..
by josimlt / September 16, 2006 12:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Memory card

Hi, thanks for your reply.

It is an SD card. it's brand is "Silicon Power".

Actually i am not from USA but from Malta(in Europe), and things here are quite expensive. That's why i bought it from the internet. If I buy it from here it would cost me around USD95 or more(The 1 GB card) and at the moment i have a strict budget. I bought the camera with the memory for 312USD(from the internet) and in Malta It would have cost me 486USD.

I contacted the seller and he is going to send me another one but instead of 1GB , it's a 2GB card.(this is because i left them negative feedback on ebay for their very late response).

i hope that the camera supports a 2GB card.btw i still have the 1 Gb card at the moment. I told them to make sure that it is compatible with the camera.

I don't think the card is defective though because on the computer it works.

Thanks

Collapse -
The computer does not take the pictures. If it doesn't work
by Kiddpeat / September 16, 2006 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: it is an SD..

in the camera, and the camera says it won't work, it won't work. The first rule of digital photography is ALWAYS format the card with the camera. If you can't format it in the camera, you can't use it.

Get the smallest SD card you can find which is made by a NAME BRAND manufacturer. Sandisk or Lexar are good choices. Format that card in the camera. If the camera won't format it, the camera may be defective. If it will, your eBay card is defective.

Collapse -
Problem solved!
by josimlt / October 1, 2006 3:24 AM PDT

Hi all, thanks for your replies.

The ebay seller sent me a 2GB card for my nikon L1 and it worked perfectly!!

So the only problem was that the other card didn't fit with my camera..

Thanks again for your help,

josimlt

Collapse -
Thanks for the feed back
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 1, 2006 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem solved!

It is good to hear that the problem is resolved.

Have fun with the new camera.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?