HDTV Picture Setting forum

General discussion

Need help with my "32lh30" LG TV (With my xbox)

by 300zspeed / January 1, 2010 9:12 AM PST

I'm getting very jagged edges with this tv from my xbox 360. I have the xbox set to 1080p, I set the TV to game mode, and the edges of everything on every game I play are blocky and "Move around". By move around I mean when something on the screen moves the blockyness on the edges move.

I'm using a brand new 1080p 32" HDTV from LG model "32lh30". I'm using an off brand HDMI cable.

I have been messing with all the settings for the last 2 days and NOTHING helps. Even my old polaroid HDTV looks better when using old HD component cables. (I do not own component cables right now though)

Here's a small video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR9nMyIlLdo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with my "32lh30" LG TV (With my xbox)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with my "32lh30" LG TV (With my xbox)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
zcZc
by 300zspeed / January 2, 2010 12:05 PM PST

No help?

Collapse -
Settings on the LG?
by Carve2 / January 2, 2010 12:29 PM PST
In reply to: zcZc

What sort of settings adjustments have you been making on the LG & 360?

From your YouTube video, it's a bit tough to see, but the problems look like processing faults. Going back to RGB/Component cables should fix that (providing the LG's analogue to digital converter's up to scratch), and the quality is still pretty good.

I'd also experiment with the LG XD Engine settings, as that can cause some issues like this one too. I'm assuming that you're not seeing similar faults with any other HDMI input sources?

Other than that, make sure that none of the changes you've made to the settings on each are causing this. Easiest way is to set the LG back to factory settings, then adjust one thing at a time until you see a result.

Best of luck, and I hope your gaming goes more smoothly in future.

Collapse -
issues
by 300zspeed / January 2, 2010 12:45 PM PST
In reply to: Settings on the LG?

So could it be something wrong with my TV? Or my 360?

I have a 4 year warranty on the TV, would you suggest taking it back and getting a new one?

Collapse -
Don't know
by Carve2 / January 2, 2010 1:04 PM PST
In reply to: issues

It could be a faulty TV, but I think it'd be tough to prove, and it's fairly unlikely.

Try running other HDMI sources into the screen using the same resolutions as the output of the 360, and see if you spot the same flaws. Borrow a friend's PS3 or blu-ray player. If you've got access to one, try a better HDMI cable (maybe from a retailer who will allow you to return it if it doesn't help).

If the screen proves to have the same issues at the same resolution from a range of sources and with a good HDMI cable, and you can document all these cases, then LG might have to answer some questions. You should check out whether there might be any firmware updates for this panel too. I can't find any with a quick search, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist.

Collapse -
same here
by dsavage9 / January 28, 2010 3:18 AM PST

it's not just you man, i have the exact same model and i have pretty bad jaggies aswell, it's annoying to say the least, on both my ps3 and 360, using hdmi or component makes no difference.

i tried everything, an i really don't think this is normal either, i'm probably gonna return mine, but i already returned the other lg i had.

not sure what to get next.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?