HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Need help with modem connection speed

by Raleigh77 / August 5, 2009 7:17 AM PDT

I am using Win XP and am having problems with slow connect speeds of no greater that 45.2 Kbps.

I have the latest modem drivers and am using a PCI SoftV92 Data Fax Modem. (SoftK56V_B2.1_V7.12.01)

I am looking for ideas on how to improve the connect speed.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with modem connection speed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with modem connection speed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Seems reasonable.
by Kees Bakker / August 5, 2009 7:23 AM PDT

Depends on your line conditions mostly. All you can do: ask your telco to come along and measure them.

Maybe another type of modem (a 'hard' modem) is able to squeeze out some more Kb, but don't count on it. So be sure you can return it if it isn't better.

Kees

Collapse -
(NT) Anothing above 28.8k is considered fair.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2009 7:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
Mustang
by Raleigh77 / August 5, 2009 8:46 AM PDT

<< (NT) Anothing above 28.8k is considered fair.

I don't know about that statement.

Kind of like buying a 5.0 Liter Mustang and it's top speed is 35 m.p.h.
Happy

Collapse -
Are we talking dialup modem?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2009 9:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Mustang

The issues with such are going to get worse as the user base declines. The prices will creep up, the link quality will suffer and you'll look at what you had and think "Man, it worked so much better back then."

Collapse -
Not the right comparison.
by Kees Bakker / August 6, 2009 6:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Mustang

It's more like buying that Mustang and driving it in town where the maximum allowed speed is 30 miles an hour.

Kees

Collapse -
Need help with modem connection speed
by Bob__B / August 5, 2009 10:51 PM PDT

If you live more than a few copper miles from telco....consider that good.

If you have a telco interface box in a closet or on the side of the house consider running a phone cable direct from the modem to the box....test.

My local telco guarantees 28.8k for pots...plain old telephone service.

You want more?.....tough......does you phone work?....if so your SOL.

Collapse -
Modem hook up
by Phil Crase / August 5, 2009 11:33 PM PDT

For those in this area who use a phone modem hook up that is great speed, the norm is around 28 to 36kbps. The ONLY way to increase up/down would be to go to a broadband hook up, get rid of the phone thing, total disaster for anything serious.

Collapse -
Speed increase
by Raleigh77 / August 12, 2009 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Modem hook up

I got my speed up to 49K.

"Disturb us, Lord, when we are too well pleased with ourselves, when our dreams have come true because we have dreamed too little, when we arrived safely because we sailed too close to the shore. Disturb us, Lord." Sir Francis Drake

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.