Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

NEED HELP WITH MICROSOFT'S INTERNET EXPLORER 8

by SILENT-EAGLE / February 5, 2010 10:37 AM PST

I installed MS's Internet Explorer 8 several months ago and don't like it. Can anyone tell me if I uninstall IE 8 will my browser automatically revert back to IE 7 (the browser I was using before installing IE 8)?

I am running XP Professional on a custom-built PC with an AMD 64 bit 3000+ CPU and 1Gb of RAM.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NEED HELP WITH MICROSOFT'S INTERNET EXPLORER 8
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NEED HELP WITH MICROSOFT'S INTERNET EXPLORER 8
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Links only
by Tufenuf / February 5, 2010 11:08 AM PST
Collapse -
Links only
by SILENT-EAGLE / February 5, 2010 3:00 PM PST
In reply to: Links only

It sux that IE 8 cannot be uninstalled after Service Pack 3 is installed. Because I have installed Service Pack 3 Thank you for the info.

Thanx for taking the time to reply to my question!

Collapse -
I will just say
by Jimmy Greystone / February 5, 2010 11:35 AM PST

I will just say that this is a very ill advised move. Using Internet Explorer itself is very ill advised, since no other browser has anything even coming close to the security issues Internet Explorer does thanks to ActiveX... HOWEVER, while it might be saying very little, Internet Explorer 8 is by far the most secure version out there. The Google-China thing that has been a big news topic of late affected primarily IE6, but also IE7 and IE8, except IE8 would crash when you attempted the exploit instead of allowing access to your system like previous versions. So where IE6 and IE7 offered your system up on a silver platter, IE8 offered at least some modicum of protection. Yes, it's a pretty pathetic level of protection, but what do you expect from a browser that allows the execution of native code without any kind of proper sandboxing?

You'd be far (far far) and away better switching to another browser. ANY other browser. Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome... Any one of those would be a HUGE step up, for the single fact that you would then be more or less immune to all the IE centric malware out there. If not having to worry about malware doesn't sell you, nothing probably will.

Collapse -
I will just say
by SILENT-EAGLE / February 5, 2010 2:45 PM PST
In reply to: I will just say

I do not want to start an argument with you. However, I have been using Internet Explorer for over 10 years (on 3 different desktop PCs & 2 different laptops) and I have never had any problem with viruses or malware.

Now I am not saying I have not had viruses or malware on my computers. What I am saying is: I have not had any problems with those nasty bugs.

Which is probably due to the fact that I have had good security S/W running.

I even had my desktop PC's subscription to ZoneAlarm Security Suite expire in May of last year and I did not update Windows from April until early October because I had a problem with one of the critical updates, which Microsoft pushed out in April. In early October I contacted Microsoft and solved the update problem and got a different security suite.

So I had no updated anti-virus or anti-spyware S/W for 6 months and did not update windows from last March to October. I was using the PC for about 10 hours a day during that time. I was also using IE 8 and had no problem with viruses or malware through out those 8 months.

And I need ActiveX running in my browser to view U-Tube videos, etc.

Collapse -
And I'm just saying
by Jimmy Greystone / February 5, 2010 11:45 PM PST
In reply to: I will just say

And I'm just saying, you don't NEED all those programs if you're not using Internet Explorer. I'm just stating a simple fact. The fact that there are probably tens of thousands, if not millions or more, unique bits of malware for Internet Explorer. The very fact that you're not even attempting to debate that point, and in fact comment about how you personally have never run into it (so far as you know) is proof of that.

But if you had no security software running, how exactly do you know for sure you never had any bit of malware make its way onto your system? While it's certainly true most malware is rather clumsy and obvious, there is an increasing amount of really very clever and insidious malware out there. Very well written, very good at going unnoticed even by professionals. It seems just a touch arrogant to say for certain you NEVER contracted one of these. You might have one now, and just not know it. But your experiences don't really matter to the thousands of people who HAVE gotten malware as a result of using Internet Explorer.

Ultimately you can do what you please, but I'm just trying to do my part to keep the Internet a clean place for everyone. While it might seem like malware is an individual problem, malware is often used to pump out spam from unwitting people's computers, and further the spread of malware, among many other undesirable things. I don't like spam any more than the next person, and I don't like malware that could get onto the wrong person's system and compromise my credit card or banking information. So I try and do what I can to encourage safe, responsible, browsing habits among people I come across. It may not be much, but it's what I can do. And who knows, maybe some day I'll come across that bank manager who decides that it would be bad for business if some employee with access to all bank customer data were to get malware as a result of using Internet Explorer. So they make the executive decision that all employees will be barred from using Internet Explorer in the workplace. That would be a really good day. And if Microsoft ever wants to rewrite IE, and give it a proper security model, I'd be happy to retract my comments and recommendations that people avoid IE like a diseased leper. I just can't see this happening any time soon though. If they were going to do it, they would have done it with IE7, after Mozilla started making considerable inroads to the browser market. They had those 5-6 years they let IE6 rot to be working on it.

Collapse -
And I'm just saying
by SILENT-EAGLE / February 13, 2010 1:40 PM PST
In reply to: And I'm just saying

I'm sorry I took so long to reply to your post. However, I have been busy with other things and this is the first time I have had a chance to respond.

Wait a hold it! Are you saying that one does NOT NEED any security S/W if one is not using internet Explorer? Because if you are, I must disagree with you. The browser is not the only way malware gets onto one's system -- malware also gets on one's system via email or by criminals connecting directly to the computer, etc. If you are not saying that, I apologize for "jumping down your throat" LOL! And would you please clarify what you ARE saying.

And I didn't say I was not willing to debate this issue, merely that I did not want to start an argument with you. The fact that I have replied to your posts twice is proof I AM willing to debate. And since when are personal experiences not a part of debating?

You made an erroneous assumption when you said: "But if you had no security software running, how exactly do you know for sure you never had any bit of malware make its way onto your system?" I never said I had no security software running. What I said was: ". . .I had no updated anti-virus or anti-spyware S/W for 6 months. . . ." I was still running ZoneAlarm Security Suite -- the anti-malware part of the S/W was just out-dated and I had Windows Defender also running during the time that I was writing about -- and I am still running it now.

And before I started writing about not having updated anti-malware S/W on my PC, I admitted that I may have had malware on my system by saying, "Now I am not saying I have not had viruses or malware on my computers. What I am saying is: I have not had any problems with those nasty bugs."

You are correct, my experience does not matter to anyone who has had problems with malware as a result of using IE 8.

And I apologize if I came across as arrogant in my previous reply to your post, as that was not my intention.

I commend you for what you are doing to make the Internet a safer place.

Thanx for replying.

Collapse -
Before you uninstall Internet Explorer 8...
by BlackBart1955 / February 5, 2010 11:54 AM PST

Before you figure out how to uninstall Internet Explorer 8 and do it (if you can), make sure you have Internet Explorer 7 on a CD. I have tried to give you the Microsoft Downloads link, but it seems that each of the ie7 links take you to ie8 instead.

Why do you want to go back anyway? I held out until my favorite websites no longer worked because they have all upgraded to work with ie8. If you don't like ie8, there is always Mozilla FireFox.

~ Barry

Collapse -
Before you uninstall Internet Explorer 8...
by SILENT-EAGLE / February 5, 2010 12:32 PM PST

I don't like IE 8 because it won't let me go to some websites via my favories (eg. PayPal) and it won't let me stay on some websites long enough to download some software (eg. Adobe's website and the software i wanted to download is Adobe Reader).

Thanx for taking the time to reply to my question.

Collapse -
They work for me...
by BlackBart1955 / February 5, 2010 1:20 PM PST

I have never had that problem. I have been able to stay on Adobe long enough to download all four of their recommended products, Reader, Shockwave Player, Flash Player, and Adobe Air, AND I also download the SVG Viewer. I also use PayPal with no problem.

I am wondering if you have some other problem. Do you keep your temporary files folders empty and do you delete the Internet Temporary Files? Try following my instructions for a similar problem at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7813_102-0.html?messageID=2645258&tag=commProfileMain;profileBot#2645258
and see if it works for your problem.

~ Barry

Collapse -
They work for me...
by SILENT-EAGLE / February 5, 2010 3:45 PM PST
In reply to: They work for me...

I have IE 8 set to automatically delete temporary files upon exit (if that is what you are talking about.) And unfortunately, I don't delete the internet temporary files very often.

Collapse -
This is more than just deleting temporary files...
by BlackBart1955 / February 5, 2010 11:21 PM PST
In reply to: They work for me...

Did you click on the link to my other post and read it? Did you click on the link IN that post and read the security advisor bulletin by NetGear? http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101208.asp
In it, it says:
* As of September 2003 certain kinds of Internet viruses became more effective.
* Routers, including NETGEAR's, are affected by viruses that open more TCP/IP connections than the routers can handle. When this happens, the router is not able to process traffic normally.

Did you read that? That is why, in my instructions, I say to turn off the ADSL box, the wireless router, and your computer and disconnect all the wires, and then turn on the ADSL box, wait for the green light to come on, and connect the internet line to it. Then when the second green light comes on, turn on the router and connect the cable from the ADSL box to the router, and then turn on the computer, but do those steps ONLY after deleting the temporary folders and Internet Explorer Temporary files?even if you do have it set to automatically delete them.

If your router is affected by such a virus as to open more TCP/IP connections than the routers can handle, then do you really think that your Zone Alarm is going to catch it? I have tried Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, and now AVG, and it gets past all of them and I think it happens BEFORE it hits Windows. If you just fold your arms and say, ?I?m not going to try that, because it won?t work?, then you are right, because if you don?t try it, then it will not work.

Work with Mark Flax. Maybe he?ll have more patience with you. He is a moderator and he knows his stuff. He?s good. I?m just a freelance who likes to help people when I get bored.

I was also going to suggest that you try CCleaner. You can get it at http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/?tag=mncol.

~ Barry

Collapse -
This is more just than deleting temporary files...
by SILENT-EAGLE / February 13, 2010 3:06 PM PST

I am sorry I took so long to reply to last post. However, I have been busy doing other things and this is the first chance I have had to respond.

No, I have not read the information on the website from the link you posted in your replies because, as I said above, I have been very busy. Nor have I done what you advised to my router because if you read my profile, you will find that I am disabled. Therefore, I need my caregiver to do the actual disconnect the cables.

I will read the information and have my caregiver do the things you suggested to my router ASAP and get back to you with the results.

Thanx for replying!

Collapse -
I apologize...
by BlackBart1955 / February 14, 2010 1:19 PM PST

I'm sorry. I did not read your profile, so no, I did not know of your problem. I was just a little irritated because when I said that you should do something, it seemed that you didn't even want to try, and then Jimmy Greystone said to do something and it seemed like you didn't want to try that either. Then when Mark Flax asked for more information and you didn't give it, I guess I got a little irritated, and I AM sorry.

I am sure that you know that troubleshooting is a trial and error process and that sometimes, you have to do the most mundane things first, just to get them out of the way. What I am suggesting may not work, but for the symptoms that you are describing, if it were MY computer that IS the first thing that I would try, because it has always worked for me in the past, and late one night (my time) my dad, who lives in California, called me here in Norway, and described the same symptoms and asked me what to do. Then I told him to follow the same instructions that I told you, and he was amazed that I am halfway around the world, and yet I could fix his computer. LOL!

I do think it would work for you too, so please do ask your caregiver to do all that unwiring and reconnecting for you and I do hope it works. If it doesn't, then I would suggest that you give Mark Flax the "more information" that he was asking for. Maybe he has a trick that he could tell you, "something up his sleeve". He IS very good at troubleshooting too.

Oh, and what Jimmy Greystone said is true... ie8 is better than ie7 security wise. Yes, you do still need to run an anti-virus program. I don't think he meant that, but it is much safer and secure than ie7--but not as good as FireFox. In addition, since Microsoft has made it a critical update, every time you go to Windows Updates, unless you know how to tell it to "never tell me about it again" (and that doesn't always work), it would always be bothering you about needing to change.

I hope you get the problem solved soon.

~ Barry

Collapse -
I apologize...
by SILENT-EAGLE / February 14, 2010 4:11 PM PST
In reply to: I apologize...

No problem! I totally understand where you are coming from. And me taking about 8 days to reply to your second to last post didn't help any either ~ LOL!

Yes I sure do know troubleshooting involves a lot of trial and error.

I certainly will have my caregiver unhook the cabling as soon as he and I have the time to do.so. When I get the cabling work done, I will let you know what the outcome is.

Thanx for taking the time to reply.

Collapse -
Can you explain more?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 5, 2010 8:41 PM PST

I tend to agree with fjord-fox that if your IE8 is not allowing you to visit certain web sites then there is some other issue. IE8 works well for most and there is nothing inherent in it that blocks access.

But can you explain more? You say IE8 won't let you go to some web sites like PayPal. Why not, and what happens when you try?

You also said IE8 won't let you stay on web sites long enough to download software. What happens when you try, eg does IE8 close, or does it suddenly move to a different web site? Or what?

As a test, do these sites work in other browsers?

Mark

Collapse -
I spoke too soon...
by BlackBart1955 / February 5, 2010 12:07 PM PST
Collapse -
I spoke too soon
by SILENT-EAGLE / February 5, 2010 12:49 PM PST
In reply to: I spoke too soon...

Thanx! However I already have the IE 7 installation file on two of HHDs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?