Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Applications forum

General discussion

Need help with microphone

by SFCharlie / February 28, 2004 1:25 PM PST

Okay, I'm running a nvidia nforce soundcard on win2k professional and when I go to play a game called counterstrike I use yahoo to talk to friends so I don't have to alt-tab to speak with them..The thing is, those who play cs know this, you also can use the microphone for the game as well...but my problem is.. It only lets me use my microphone for one application at a time..I have many friends who can use their mics for both yahoo and cs.. but none of them can understand why mine won't let me.. Does anyone have anything I could try?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with microphone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with microphone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Need help with microphone plus CS plus YAHOO = cheat!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2004 9:11 PM PST

CS was specifically written to avoid this. The idea is to setup the game in a known way to not let anyone have an unfair advantage.

Some sidestep this and call their buddy on the phone...

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Need help with microphone plus CS plus YAHOO = cheat!
by SFCharlie / February 29, 2004 1:03 AM PST

That wasn't my intention...But here's the thing..a lot of my friends can talk on yahoo and play things like (and including CS) at the same time... I want to do it so I don't seem so un-attentive to my girlfriend.. I'm..not sure what the advice was you were giving me... From what I can tell it's just "Don't bother?"

Collapse -
Here's an example why you don't see support for it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 29, 2004 1:21 AM PST

For example, in some games the player dies and can them watch the action in an unencumbered way to see all. It's simply a good game design to cut off communications from the dead players to the live ones so the dead player can't tell the buddy that the opposing force is approaching through the woods vs. on the road. This upsets the fair play.

As such, it doesn't matter why you want to do this, its abuse has lead to more code to cut such communications off.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Here's an example why you don't see support for it.
by SFCharlie / February 29, 2004 2:51 AM PST

You still miss my point... It's not the CS coding cutting it off.. It's that my microphone doesn't want to work for 2 seperate things at a time... I was using CS as a example...

Collapse -
Then think about not using CS as an example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 29, 2004 3:03 AM PST

By doing so, you ran into a simple problem that I noted and could get some upset since I agree that helping cheaters cheat is best left unsupported.

If you were to have asked why you can't use your microphone in two audio apps such as a VOIP and Intant Messenger then we would chat about how Windows works. As-is, in how Microsoft crafted the audio subsystem, only only application can get the one microphone input. Which is an improvement over the first Microsoft method which you could have sound or microphone, but not both at the same time. Remember the old "full-duplex" issue?

In any direction you go, the basic Microsoft subsystem design does not allow applications to share the microphone input.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Typo.. "only only application" s/b "only one..."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 29, 2004 3:05 AM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!