Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need help with Laptop

by VaughnFZ / April 29, 2011 12:38 AM PDT

I have a HP Pavillion ze4800 laptop with WindowsXP. When I click on a desktop icon I get a message that asks me if I am sure I want to delete that icon and the NO box does NOT work. I have gone so far as to reformat the HD and reinstall Windows and I am still getting this error. I am not certain if it is a software problem (perhaps a virus in the boot sector of the HD) or a hardware problem (perhaps it needs a new keyboard or touchpad). One of the reasons I was leaning toward the hardware solution is that the left mouse click doesn't work and I need to use a USB mouse (however, the problem occurs even with the USB mouse).
I ordered a keyboard and touchpad for the laptop but I thought I would try a few thing while waiting for them. I reformatted the HD once again and reinstalled Windows XP. Interestingly, the desktop icons are available to click on and everything works perfectly, without incident, UNTIL I restart the laptop. Once the laptop is restarted, the problem re-occurs.
Can anyone help me fix this problem please?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like malware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2011 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Need help with Laptop

And are clicking on the icon or double clicking?

I'd follow Grif's advice next at 7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

Bob

Collapse -
Need help with Laptop
by VaughnFZ / June 19, 2011 9:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds like malware.

I finally solved this problem and I thought I would share the solution. The original probleem was "When I click on a desktop icon I get a message that asks me if I am sure I want to delete that icon and the NO box does NOT work."
The solution was to replace the keyboard. Apparently there was a short in the "delete" key and when Windows was started it was like you were holding down the delete key.
As it turns out, laptops do not always act the same as desktops. Desktop usually give a message that tell you something is wrong with the keyboard if a key is stuck down - apparently not ther same with laptops. Try starting your laptop (Windows XP) and holding the delete key down BEFORE you turn the power on. It acts just as I described in my original message.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!