Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need help with Hard Drive Upgrade

by MSK12 / September 14, 2008 4:08 AM PDT

Hello: I have a Sony PCV-RG54G computer that I purchased in around 2002-2003. It has Windows XP Media Edition. It came with 2 13 Gig HD. This computer is more that sufficient for my needs but I am running out of space on my C-drive (13 Gig. I have moved every document that I had on C-drive but still with all the updates and patches, I have only 800 MB left on the C-drive.

How do I upgrade my HD for a bigger one that would be compatible with the motherboard?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
thanks
MSK

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with Hard Drive Upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with Hard Drive Upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Interesting machine.
by Bob__B / September 14, 2008 6:56 AM PDT

Seems Sony built one....and you bought it.

Is there a typo in that model #?

Collapse -
PCV-RC54G
by MSK12 / September 14, 2008 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting machine.

Yes Sorry there was a typo in that model. It is PCV-RC54G.
Thanks

Collapse -
Interesting machine #2
by Bob__B / September 15, 2008 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: PCV-RC54G

Goggle still says you have the only machine ever made.

Another typo?

Let's try this a different way.
Use Goggle and find>Ccleaner<.....load and run the product.
That should free up a little space.

You said you moved all your DOCS.
What about other types of YOUR STUFF.
Pics.
Music.

Collapse -
Model Number: PCV-RZ54G
by MSK12 / September 15, 2008 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting machine #2

Hello: No the model number is correct. Sony does not offer this model any more, that is perhaps you are not finding it. If you type it into Sony style you will find the info about it. I will run the ccleaner but I would rather swap the HD with a bigger one.

i have take off eveything I can off this drive. No music, no pictures, no downloaded manuals. i wil double check tonight one more time.

thanks again

Collapse -
Interesting machine #3
by Bob__B / September 15, 2008 6:40 AM PDT

Goggle knows about 'that' machine.

However..Sony seems to say that machine comes with a 200GB HD.
You said you have two 13GB units....partitions?....physical units?

Are we sure we have the right machine?

The reason I ask is 13GB was a common Hd size many yrs ago.
Machines that used that size HD might have issues if a 'LARGE' HD is installed.

Collapse -
RE:
by MSK12 / September 15, 2008 8:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting machine #3

OK Bob: You are right. The C drive says 13.9 GB (most of it is used) and the D drive says 166 GB out of which only 8.2 is used. So it must be partition as you mentioned. when I open "my computer", it tells me two hard drives. C and D with the capacities listed above. I pull the cover off and it has only one hard drive. (I feel like a fool now). So what needs to be done now? How do I increase the partition.
Thanks very much.

Collapse -
Well.
by Bob__B / September 16, 2008 12:43 AM PDT
In reply to: RE:

You might want to look into PARTITION MAGIC.

If you try the product you might want to back up everything you can't afford to lose.

Just in case the product does more MAGIC than you expected.

Another option is to save Your Stuff...wipe the HD...partition to your liking...reload.

Some folks find this partition stuff to be of value.
For my use..I just keep it simple....one partition.
That way I don't fall into the PARTITION TRAP...like you have.

Collapse -
partition magic
by lch41 / September 21, 2008 3:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Well.

pm is ok but can lead to many hair pulling sessions. i find it best to use a 80 gig hdd for my operating system and use a larger one for my backups that way if a hdd brakes down you won't lose every thing.
I use to partition a lot untill I had a couple of crashes even with repair disc they some times fail.

Collapse -
HD Running out of space
by MSK12 / September 22, 2008 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: partition magic

Hello: Thanks for the input. The problem I have is that I am not that much computer savey so don't know where to begin: Should I backup all the data and the operating system by purchasing an external HD, then proceed with the re-partitioning and then reload back from the external HD?

Appreciate a solution or step by step instruction would be much helpful.

Collapse -
HD Running out of space
by lch41 / September 22, 2008 1:49 AM PDT

yes that way you won't lose your files

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?