HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Need help with hard drive more than one question.

by farmboy104 / January 21, 2006 5:14 AM PST

I bought a new 250GB hard drive and have it in the computer and it reads it as the "C" drive because I set it up that way, it is running Windows XP, but it is only reading 127G, but I want all 250GB, and I would like to know how to do that, but I also need to put all the stuff that is on the old drives (which are now being read as the "F" drive (master) and the "G" drive (slave) but it is not really there if you know what I mean.

Like I said windows is all ready up and running and I need to put both the other drives on the new one and get the GB that are not there.

If you need more information about my computer just let me know I will help you with what I can.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with hard drive more than one question.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with hard drive more than one question.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
check out this link
by roykirsh / January 21, 2006 7:04 AM PST
Collapse -
Need help with hard drive
by hawks55 / January 22, 2006 5:02 AM PST

Why didn't you partition your drive when you installed XP? Reinstall XP and partition your drive so you can store your data, pics, tunes and video's on a partitioned drive rather than Drive C: That way if C: crashes you only have to reformat C: and your Important files will not be lost!

Collapse -
I AGREE !!!
by VAPCMD / January 22, 2006 5:35 AM PST

Don't think he's seeing all the diskspace yet...so perhaps there's hope.

Not sure whether he needs a BIOS update or just the updated WinXP service packs to resolve the problem.
Once he get the update perhaps he'll setup the rest of the 250GB for data.

Collapse -
it did not let me set it bigger at the BIOS when i put it in
by farmboy104 / January 22, 2006 10:26 AM PST
In reply to: I AGREE !!!

I want it to be the "C" drive because it is bigger the new one is 250GB and the old one was like 40GB. But when I put the new drive in I did not have the other one hooked up and set it up it would only give me the option of setting it up at 127GB and no higher but I need all 250GB I did not have the other drive hooked up when I set up the new one. I hooked it back up later.

So do I need to need start over with the whole thing or can I put something on the new drive like AOL and download the stuff I need to make it read all of it and if so what and then can I still copy all the files that are on the old drive to the new one without having to set it up again, if you or anyone can help me I would really be grateful.

If you need to know more about my computer or if I i even have the right thing to be able to get the full drive up and running just ask questions and i will answer them to the best of me abilities. thank you all for the help so far.

Collapse -
What you should've done
by damasta55r / January 22, 2006 1:41 PM PST

was to install windows on the new hard drive and then transfer data to new drive?

Roger

Collapse -
it has windows on it
by farmboy104 / January 22, 2006 11:36 PM PST

The computer has windows XP on it right now but it is only reading 127GB not 250GB how do I make it read 250GB can u tell me how?

Can you tell me how to copy the old hard drivs to the new one that is set up as the "C" drive right now because I really dont know and I need help!

thanks for the help so far!

Thanks,
Jon

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.