Desktops forum

General discussion

need help with graphics card shared memory

by Hobs Crk / December 27, 2007 1:08 PM PST

i have a Lenovo 3000H series desktop with windows XP Home(SP2) and 512 mb DDR.it came with an intel extreme graphics 2 card,its total memory is 96mb.
Is there a way i can increase the total memory to 128mb without having to change the entire motherboard??I tried using BIOS to increase the shared memory,but there isn't any option related to video memory...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need help with graphics card shared memory
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need help with graphics card shared memory
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry...that model number doesn't work to get product info.
by VAPCMD / December 27, 2007 1:55 PM PST

You might consider getting more RAM...you've only got 512MBs minus memory for video which leaves nothing for running applications. You might find the system performance more satisfactory with a GB of RAM.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
System specs >>>
by Willy / December 27, 2007 4:00 PM PST

The 3000H specs:

Lenovo 3000 H Desktop PC Features

* Intel Pentium 4 Processor 517 with HT Technology
(2.93 GHz, 533 MHz, 1-MB L2 cache)
* Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
* Intel 945G Express
* 256MB (upto 4.0GB) RAM - DDR2 533MHz (PC2-4200)
* 40-GB SATA 4,200 rpm hard drive
* CD-RW Optical Drive
* 8 audio ports (6 at rear and 2 in front)
* Intel Pro 10/100 Mbps Ethernet network card
* 56 kbps V.92 Modem
* 15-inch TFT LCD Monitor
* Keyboard, Speakers & Mouse
* DOS
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Since, it can take upto 4gb of system ram of which it uses some for video, add new ram or more. If not in the bios, check to see if some utility does address video setting directly. It maybe in the control panel and/or s/w control for display setting(guessing). BUT, you also state "extreme graphics 2 card" if that is true, then only replacing the card with a better video card will do, otherwise the 1st fix for "build-in" video port applies.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Willy....this info doesn't look right to me...can you 2X
by VAPCMD / December 29, 2007 2:28 AM PST
In reply to: System specs >>>

check based on the additional info provided subsequently ?

I had a heck of a time finding detailed system info re this user's PC..especially about the type of RAM or the video card slot. Got more detailed info about the RAM and video from Crucial than Lenovo.

Thanks

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Well
by Bob__B / December 27, 2007 11:39 PM PST

Intel

Collapse -
THANKS
by Hobs Crk / December 28, 2007 12:53 PM PST
In reply to: Well

uh dang.actually,i tried to buy a new graphics card,but it seems the graphic card is soldered to the motherboard,so i'll have to replace my entire motherboard...i tried looking in control panel....and i found that my pc uses 756 mb of paging file memory(it says that a paging file is an area on the hard drive that is used the same way as RAM).Does that help any?

Actually,the only reason i want the 128mb is becoz i just got NFS prostreet without checking the min. system specs and now i can't run it...:(

Collapse -
Give us the exact info....mfg name, series and complete
by VAPCMD / December 28, 2007 2:17 PM PST
In reply to: THANKS

model number....as found on your product (also see like below). We can help but really need exact info to provide specific advice or recommendation. With onboard video and only 512MBs RAM...you're severely limited.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?template=%2Fproductselection%2Flandingpages%2FbrowseByProductLandingPage.vm&sitestyle=lenovo&brandind=11&validate=true

VAPCMD

Collapse -
sorry here's the model no and stuff..
by Hobs Crk / December 28, 2007 5:50 PM PST

its Lenovo 3000 H100 8823 3CQ
with Microsoft Windows Home (SP2)
it comes with 256mb DDR,i added another 256 mb...

Collapse -
...continued
by Hobs Crk / December 28, 2007 6:02 PM PST

This is what the website says....

Intel

Collapse -
"video RAM allocation to 96 MB."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2007 1:12 AM PST
In reply to: ...continued
Collapse -
Got it...Thanks...the rest of the product # was significant
by VAPCMD / December 29, 2007 2:21 AM PST

Looks like the system (the motherboard) has a AGP 8X video card slot. Please double check your system manual and your PC to make sure that it has an AGP slot and whether a low-profile card might be required or not. Must admit I expected to find more info about your system on the IBM site... I filled out the support site survey and left no kudos or compliments. It's by far the least helpful, most incomplete site I've visited trying to help someone. Once you verify the slot type AGP and whether it's low profile or not, repost here or go to http://www.tomshardware.com to see the AGP(?)cards are available.

Here 's the product link I used:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?template=/product.do?template=%2Fproductpage%2Flandingpages%2FproductPageLandingPage.vm&sitestyle=lenovo&brandind=11&familyind=303034&machineind=324288&modelind=355155&partnumberind=0&subcategoryind=0&doctypeind=100&doccategoryind=0&operatingsystemind=49980&validate=true

Given the criticality for today's PCs, you're really handicapping yourself and your system without 1GB of RAM. Here's a link to reliable vendor that guarantees compatibility with your system. You can buy a matched kit (2@512MBs=1GB) and sell what you have to someone else or get the 1@1GB=1GB substituting it for one of the 256MBs. Either way ...it's about $65.00.

2-512MBs
http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=8693ECD8A5CA7304

1-1GB
http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=BD8168DAA5CA7304

Here's a link to the Lenovo Desktop 3000 Forum

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board?board.id=H_Series_Lenovo_3000

Let us know how it works out.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
nothing in the manual
by Hobs Crk / December 29, 2007 1:13 PM PST

i'm sorry,but i couldn't find anything in the manual about an AGP 8X card slot (believe me,the manual is worse than the website,all it gives is details on how to connect the speakers and that kind of stuff)

I might go in for a ram upgrade,but the video memory will remain the same even if i get 1GB or more right?because i havent really had any problems with the system performance until now..

Collapse -
Yes...video RAM will remain at 96MBs according to the link
by VAPCMD / December 29, 2007 4:10 PM PST
In reply to: nothing in the manual

Bob provided.

Keep in mind ... you're currently running 512MBs system RAM minus the 96MBs for video leaving only 416MB for the system and programs. By bringing it up to 1GB or 1.28GBs (if you get the 1 GB DIMM and use one of the old 256MB DIMMs) you realize significant improvement.

Re the video ... you might take it to a local shop or ask a friend to look at it...like I said one source (Crucial) indicates it AGP 8X. Another alternative would be to open the PC and take digital PICs and post it to the WEB at imageshack...then post the link here for us to look at. You could always buy an AGP 8X card and try it.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
lol
by RagingAura / December 30, 2007 12:26 PM PST

you make it seem so complicated. It's probably integrated graphichs, as ther are very add in graphichs cards with 96 mb. all you have to do is put in a newer and better graphics card in to the a pci slot and connect the moniter cable to that. if its integrated than the system overrides the integrated and goes for the better one. If its a real card (i don't know why it would be soldered in) than it will simply waste electricity as it sits unused.

no, you cannot set the card to use 128 mb when there is only 96 available, and if it is integrated, somehow setting it to 128 is not a good idea is it would not really improve anything by much, abd will probably reduce its life span. You might as well get a new card.

Collapse -
It is complicated for those who know nothing or near nothing
by VAPCMD / December 30, 2007 1:54 PM PST
In reply to: lol

about PC technology.

You should have provided your wisdom sooner and directed it to the poster .. you're talking to the choir here.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
ok
by Hobs Crk / December 31, 2007 1:12 PM PST

I'm getting a new graphics card,but how do i find out what kind of slot i have?it isnt mentioned in the manual.i've posted some pictures of the motherboard,can you please take a look at them and tell me what kind of slot i have...

http://picasaweb.google.com/rahulferns29

Collapse -
I just see PCI...
by John.Wilkinson / December 31, 2007 1:40 PM PST
In reply to: ok

There's an AGP 8X header but no slot, plus three PCI (not PCIe) slots, one of which is used. That limits your options to mostly older, lower-class PCI graphics cards.

John

Collapse -
thanks john
by Hobs Crk / December 31, 2007 4:36 PM PST
In reply to: I just see PCI...

is there any reason why there would be a header but no slot?does it by any chance mean that i can get a slot inserted?or do i have to use a PCI card after all?

Collapse -
All I saw was one PIC that was too narrow a view
by VAPCMD / December 31, 2007 2:22 PM PST
In reply to: ok

to make any type of asessment. Can you do a wider view ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
ok thanks
by Hobs Crk / December 31, 2007 4:39 PM PST

ok I'm going to get some pics with a wider view and post them on the same link as above within an hour or so..

Collapse -
pics posted,sorry for delay
by Hobs Crk / January 1, 2008 6:02 PM PST

sorry my server was down yesterday,pics posted now

Collapse -
(NT) Old link shows same PIC...got a new link ?
by VAPCMD / January 1, 2008 11:16 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?