Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need help with getting a laptop.

by tictacjo / May 18, 2013 11:56 AM PDT

I'm a newbie with computers. I want to get a laptop where I can play games where it doesn't lag. Can I get a good one for about 1700 dollars or maybe a good one that is much cheaper like for 500 dollars? Basically I want a laptop where I play a game like world of Warcraft where it doesn't lag.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with getting a laptop.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with getting a laptop.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The problem with that
by Jimmy Greystone / May 19, 2013 12:59 AM PDT

The problem with that is twofold. First, laptops are HORRIBLE gaming machines. Seriously. I wouldn't recommend anything more taxing than a rousing game of Solitaire on any laptop, even the so-called gaming laptops. Otherwise you just dramatically shorten the life of the unit, not to mention upgrade options are severely limited to non-existent, you generally have lower end, lower resolution, displays, cramped keyboards, trackpad for a mouse -- and while you can plug in USB mice and keyboards, if you're going to do that, why not just get a desktop to begin with -- all the heat generated by working the internal components so hard has fewer places to go so just kind of sits there slow baking the internal components, and those components are the stripped down mobile versions while we're on the subject. If you get a powerful laptop you either get a very heavy laptop or one that you'll never be able to use off AC power for more than a couple of minutes, the thing will sound like a jet engine at takeoff with all those tiny fans working at high RPMs trying to clear out some of that hot air inside the case, and probably a dozen more reasons I'm forgetting.

The second major problem, however, is that games like WoW are online games. So your Internet connection will likely play a much more significant role in the amount of lag you experience compared to the specs of your laptop. If you're trying to play WoW on a dialup connection, you could have a computer that is 1,000X better than the recommended specs for the game, and it will still lag because of that dialup Internet connection. Same goes for if you're on a wifi connection with a bunch of other people.

That all being said, if you want to disregard everything I said about why laptops make for poor gaming platforms, keep in mind that laptops are basically WYSIWYG. You might be able to upgrade the HDD and the RAM to some degree, but that's pretty much all. So the laptop you buy is the laptop you are stuck with for the duration. Get as much laptop as you can reasonably afford if you plan to keep the thing for more than a year or so. I always recommend avoiding the bargain basement laptops because they tend to be very poorly constructed with every possible corner cut to try and eek out some kind of profit on the unit. The higher end ($2,000+) generally have a healthy profit margin already, so more time and care is put into the construction of the unit. It's not a universal, but you have a significantly higher chance. If you take a laptop that was a high end unit a year or two ago, and now the specs are similar to the bargain basement level laptops, I would still put my money on the old laptop outliving the new laptops. Don't break the bank or anything, but do get as much laptop as you can reasonably afford. If you take absolutely nothing else away from anything I've said, let it be that.

Collapse -
Problematic, even today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2013 3:06 AM PDT

While you can get a nice alienware or ROG you are paying a premium and getting less. Also, lag is often an issue of your internet connection and not your PC.

Nice budget.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.