Computer Help forum

Question

Need help with Flash (i think)

by Lordy1983 / September 7, 2014 9:48 PM PDT

Hey guys, stuck with a computer problem on my sons laptop..

It started when he was trying to stream things, he could hear the audio but the screen was completely green.

A quick google search told me it was a flash problem and the answer was that I should just update my Flash.

I updated Flash and now everything is even worse, websites crash when I open them, videos mostly don't play either.

I have so far tried:
1. Uninstalling flash and Reinstalling flash again
2. Uninstalled Java and reinstalled.
3. Ran virus and spyware checks

I have not yet tried to download drivers for the 3d card as everywhere I go makes me download a driver program where I need to register and they just don't feel legit.

Hope someone can help, it's very frustrating!

The computer in question is:

Dell Studio 1749

Windows 7

Intel Core i5-520M 2.4 GHz

Intel HM55

4096 MB, DDR3 SDRAM

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 - 1024 MB, Core: 550 MHz, Memory: 800 MHz, GDDR3 SDRAM, 8.14.10.0716

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with Flash (i think)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with Flash (i think)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The common thing to check
by Steven Haninger / September 7, 2014 10:25 PM PDT
Collapse -
thanks
by Lordy1983 / September 8, 2014 12:01 AM PDT

Hi, thank you for the answer, i checked the link and it seems Flash is working ok.

I'm starting to believe it might be an error on explorer as when I open certain pages that crash when using Explorer, they don't when using Chrome.

Are there any programs for scanning explorer or an easy way to reinstall explorer?

Apologies I'm not amazing with computers.

Collapse -
I won't be much help
by Steven Haninger / September 8, 2014 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

I don't use google chrome and rarely us IE. From what I can read, however, Chrome users seem to report a lot of problems with it's built in flash player. You can try installing Firefox and and the separate Adobe Flash plugin if you wish. That's what I use and have no problems. I've occasionally had issues with LiveStream sites, however, so don't rule out the streaming source as a possible problem.

Collapse -
Argh
by Lordy1983 / September 8, 2014 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: I won't be much help

I've not got no idea what's wrong with it, everything works on google chrome now, reinstalled internet explorer but it still doesn't work there.

None of my sons games will load up though, any thoughts on what the problem may be, I'm lost and ready to just reinstall the laptop now.

Collapse -
Iieee!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2014 3:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Argh

Reinstalling IE does not remove addons and more. For that you RESET IE (I missed what version of IE.)

So reset IE and then re-install Flash.

Keep in mind that some security suites interfere with Flash. It's a discussion all on its own why that is.
Bob

Collapse -
BTW. Java is not required for Flash playback.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2014 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Iieee!

You can uninstall that for now.

Collapse -
Try It
by itsdigger / September 8, 2014 3:56 AM PDT

Why not do a system restore to a time when things worked right?

Digger

Collapse -
Did you reinstall Adobe Flash?
by Steven Haninger / September 8, 2014 7:16 AM PDT

As I understand it, Chrome comes with it's own version so you need a separate installation for IE. Be very careful with where you download Adobe Flash as some sites masquerade as official but are not. These use odd installers that want to put crap on your machine.

Collapse -
Update
by Lordy1983 / September 10, 2014 2:57 AM PDT

I think it is now a windows explorer problem rather than internet explorer.

I have tried:

reinstalling Flash, Java, Graphics card drivers, removed IE and installed an older version which failed then reinstalled latest version, run a full 2.5 house virus scan and borrow my brothers window repair cd which also failed.

I have tried to go back to a restore point which fails and wont let me, tried running IE with no add ons.

I can't remember or find any restore cd that I got with the laptop and have now run out of options.

Any last suggestions as to what this may be before i throw the laptop at the wall?

Just can't understand how one flash update can cause all this....

Thank you once again for all your help guys.

Collapse -
Just curious
by itsdigger / September 10, 2014 3:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

You said you "I tried to go back to a restore point which fails and wont let me"

I've heard that if your anti virus is about to expire , things get funny and the AV won't let you restore.
I wonder if this can be one of those situations ?
A little thing I learned here

Digger

Collapse -
Thanks for that Digger.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2014 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Just curious

Many AV block system restore even if current. Norton was very bad about that along with Kapersky.
I don't know all those that block SR but frankly I'm not happy about it. That is, they silently block it and many folk call in and pay support to learn about it.

Thugs,
Bob

Collapse -
WAIT! Don't throw the laptop
by James Denison / September 10, 2014 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

Download and use Mint 17 for a few days to take a rest from this, then knowing you have something usable for the interim, you can take a more relaxed look into the problem. Entire system runs from a DVD, but anything you wish to save must be done to hard drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB6RR-3vJZ4

http://linuxmint.com/

(from a former windows user)

Collapse -
Answer
Dell has many options. Quote and link follows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2014 3:08 AM PDT

"Download recovery disk for Dell

If the recovery partition of your Dell computer is corrupt or not working, you can download Easy Recovery Essentials that works with Dell computers.

Download Easy Recovery Essentials for Dell

Features of Easy Recovery Essentials include:

Automatically find and fix boot errors
Works even when you can't get into Windows
Recover from virus infections
Restore your PC to a working state
Access and backup your important data
Advanced tools for IT experts"
https://neosmart.net/wiki/dell-recovery-partition/

PS. This is over at dell.com too.

Collapse -
Answer
Is there any flashblock program
by James Denison / September 10, 2014 4:32 AM PDT

added as a plugin or extension which might be interfering?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.