Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need help with Error 12029

by baakma / November 6, 2010 4:12 PM PDT

I have a desktop (OS Windows XP) which is where my internet is connected with the Actiontec DSL Modem/Router - connected by an Ethernet cable. I cannot log onto the internet with this computer - I get Error 12029. I have 3 laptops in the house (all using a wireless connection to the internet) and they all log on to the internet without any problems (2 have OS Windows XP and 1 has Windows Vista). I have checked the LAN settings as that has been what I've seen as the solution for the error. My settings are what has been recommended. The other thought was about antivirus software - I have Norton on all 4 computers. I have seen several suggestions of downloading fixes but if I can't get online where does that help? I am getting frustrated. Can anyone help me?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with Error 12029
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with Error 12029
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Norton
by PKsteven / November 6, 2010 6:57 PM PDT

First of all, this may be caused by an infection, if Norton actually caught it, it may also be blocking the internet due to an infection.

Are you sure Norton Firewall isn't set to block? Check the settings if you may have accidentally changed them.

You stated:
<<I have seen several suggestions of downloading fixes but if I can't get online where does that help? >>

but you also stated:

<<I have 3 laptops in the house (all using a wireless connection to the internet) and they all log on to the internet without any problems>>

Ok, you can access the internet then. What you need to do is take a working laptop, download Malwarebytes Antimalware...

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

transfer the file to a USB stick or CD\DVD media, put it on the PC in question and run it. It will take a while depending but our first task is to see if there are any malicious items running.

If none detected by MBAM or Norton....

Then this error is typically related to Norton. I personally have removed Norton on a few systems in the last couple of months due to this. No fixes, well, fixed it, except the removal of Norton itself.

Did you purchase Norton? Did it come preinstalled? I ask because you may need to reinstall it and will need the setup file or disk, or if OEM system, the recovery disk to reinstall Norton.

Please read here...

https://solutions.symantec.com/sdccommon/asp/symcu_defcontent_view.asp?ssfromlink=true&sprt_cid=00c2f7ea-bc27-45c4-82e9-8acd2dd73daa&docid=20070828203435EN

Do the same as instructed with MBAM above, download the removal tool onto one of the 3 laptops, put it on a USB or CD or DVD, some media it will fit on, then put it onto the PC having the issue. You can even read the "How To" from the other laptop as you do this.

Once removed, you should be able to access the internet again. Reinstall Norton, do updates, and you should be good to go. If you find later on you don't want Norton, there are numerous FREE and PAID for alternatives.

Hope this helps

Collapse -
Re:
by baakma / November 7, 2010 12:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Norton

I cannot access Norton so I'm thinking it's an issue with that.

When I said I couldn't access the internet, I meant from the desktop - not the wireless connections which are all fine.

I purchased the Norton software (have 48 days left on it) from a local computer firm - at the time we had 6 computers in our household so I bought 2 programs (each covered 3 computers). The desktop is the only computer that I have had any problems with.

I will try the things you suggested and see if that takes care of the problem.

Thanks!

Collapse -
RE:
by baakma / November 7, 2010 1:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Norton

Okay, so I am attempting to follow your steps one at a time - tried to check Norton - won't open and I get a message telling me I need to restart my computer. (Oh, and I right clicked on the Norton icon and saw I had a scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware so I ran that - nothing was brought up.)

Went to the next thing - copied the Malwarebytes software to my travel drive - attempted to upload it to the desktop - got a message while it was going through the extraction step - it says: An error occured. Please report the following error code to the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware support team. Error code: 702(0,453).

How do I proceed?

Collapse -
Re:
by baakma / November 7, 2010 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: RE:

I reported the error code to Malware and am now currently running their program on the troubled computer. Will update what happens next...

Collapse -
(NT) Re:
by baakma / November 7, 2010 3:15 AM PST
Collapse -
RE:
by baakma / November 7, 2010 3:17 AM PST

After over an hour of scanning, there were no issues with the computer. I uninstalled Norton as you said and voila! the internet is back. I am re-installing Norton now - hopefully the internet access will still be there when it's done.

Thanks so much for your help - I appreciate it soooo much!

Collapse -
Internet
by PKsteven / November 7, 2010 7:08 AM PST

You are more than welcome.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.