Desktops forum

General discussion

Need help with DIY machine

by jsqihui / September 27, 2010 11:36 PM PDT

The problem is that when I try start up with minimum configuration: cpu, motherboard and power and case of course. The power fan and cpu fan just run 1 second then down 2 second and then run again and down again. I think the normal situation should be the fans keep running and the motherboard alert no memory found.

there are 4 phase leds on board, two green down one yellow up and one yellow top.

I have replace the power and cpu, it doesn't work. Now I am gonna change the motherboard. But before that, I post to see if there are some good solutions. And I wonder if there is a chance that it the case problem.

cpu : i5-760
motherboard : gigabyte p55-usb3
power : corsair TX 650w power supply

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with DIY machine
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with DIY machine
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reset bios, try it...
by Willy / September 28, 2010 12:51 AM PDT

While you did change/swap parts it appears the bios was probably setup to "reboot on error" in it initial working state. This alone makes it frustrating to resolve the problem. I suggest you find the CMOS/bios clearing pins and use them to reset the bios. Then, reboot and check results. You mention no ram installed in your post as minimum configuration, well you do need ram present in order get beyond that error. Please explain fully what got you to this point. If you can, try to enter the bios setting area if the display becomes active and allows this. Are there any beeps? Do the LEDs represent any possible clue as to condition of system, do they blink or display a status??? review manual or visit support website. Because, all that's left is the mtrbd., it could well be the primary fault, replace.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I have tried, but it is still not working.
by jsqihui / October 12, 2010 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Reset bios, try it...

I have tried to reset the cmos, since the motherboard is gigabyte, there no switch to reset cmos, I just short the two pins. But it is still not working, I have changed the cpu, changed the power supply, even changed a new motherboard(gigabyte UD3), changed the thermal grease, it just remains the same: after start up, all fans including, cpu fan, power fan, graphic card fan run for two seconds then stop for one second then run again for two seconds and loop in this way.

I am just so mad with this and I wonder if it is possible that the problem is caused by the case?

BTW: I also try to reset cmos by unplug the power and take off the battery. Is this a right way?

thanks -Hui

Collapse -
Have you tried the stripped down 'bench test' ?
by VAPCMD / October 12, 2010 10:02 AM PDT

Are all the leads from the front panel connected or just the power switch ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Just power switch
by jsqihui / October 12, 2010 8:31 PM PDT

just power switch

Collapse -
startup problem on new DIY
by Brechan / October 21, 2010 7:46 PM PDT

I know this may seem like a dumb response; after reading through the responses, it seems that the mobo is shorting out somewhere.
Have you made sure there are only the standoffs needed for securing your mobo to the case; that all mobo screws are securely fastened ( a loose mobo screw will short out your board), no extra standoffs screwed into the case (this will short out a mobo as well), nothing extra rattling around inside the case.

Are the phase LED's part of the mobo (or more like a cold cathode tube, installed after the build as part of decoration) ?
If they are part of the mobo; then check on Gigabyte's website/ forums for error codes for the LED's.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?