Computer Help forum

Question

Need help with disk usage 100% on windows 8.1!

by worrior14 / December 20, 2015 8:46 AM PST

Hello everyone, I am desperately needing help with my disk usage issues as i never had this issue before- it has only occured in the past week. Before i use to be able to run game such as league of legend and tera smoothly, now they are lag so much I cant even play anymore.

Laptop specs are:

AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.00 GHZ
4 Gigs RAM and 64bit Operating system

I have searched youtube guides and did what they said- i allocated more memory towards disk and also I disabled superfetch, windows search and BIS. Also, I have scanned my laptop for viruses but there is none. In addition to this, I also downloaded seagate which tests hard drive to see if they failure but there is no failure and it passed all test including the windows test as well. So I do not know what the issue is and need help ASAP! I will upload screenshot of task manager if someone want but pls help me as i want to play game and function normally like before! Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with disk usage 100% on windows 8.1!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with disk usage 100% on windows 8.1!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Seagate.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2015 8:57 AM PST

Try another make drive. Much in the news and well, I take it you've scanned system recovery and then you wrote the magic word.

Collapse -
What does that mean?
by worrior14 / December 20, 2015 9:02 AM PST
In reply to: Seagate.

What does another make drive mean?

I performed all the tests seagate said and it said it passed all of them- i clicked on all options took me like 2 hours total.

Also I performed the Windows diagnosis to see if there are any errors but there was none.

Do you think im not scanning my computer for viruses properly? I open in safe mode and used AVG but none was found.

Collapse -
What does it mean?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2015 9:33 AM PST
In reply to: What does that mean?

Clone the drive to some other drive that is not a Seagate. I've found Seagates that pass all tests but do what you note.

-> Why do you suspect a virus after system recovery?

Seagates are in the news. Since I've replied about this many times I am reducing the full reply and shortchanging folk now. Here's a graphic.

More at https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-for-q2-2015/

Collapse -
?
by worrior14 / December 21, 2015 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: What does it mean?

How would I go about cloning my hard drive? Do you have team viewer so you can help me with it? (I'm not so good with computers and really really want this issue fixed! )

Collapse -
Re: clone a hard drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 21, 2015 3:02 AM PST
In reply to: ?

Put the new hard drive in an external enclosure (or connect it to a SSD slot on your motherboard and power from the PSU) and copy the old drive to it using some cloning/copying program like Acronis or Clonezilla or Easeus Disk Copy or ... Just google CLONE DISK. and go ahead.

Or find a repair shop to do it for you.

Kees

Collapse -
While I have Team Viewer...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2015 7:37 AM PST
In reply to: ?

I have yet to clone drives using that remotely as drives must be moved around and I have to use clues that I can only hear or see while working on the PC.

Remember that this is a suspect item. Yes, I've cured a few but the other half was folk that installed something like Torrents. You did a factory restore and still saw 100% disk use so I don't suspect malware from Torrents or other.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!