Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need help with deleting/merging partitions.

I am in a real bind. I have a lot of left over partitions from linux installations, and I want to merge the 27 gig(drive j) with the 5 gig(drive c). The 27 gig has nothing on it as it has been recently formatted for NTFS (i made sure to update the bootloader and tested it). When i try the merge tool in Paragon Partition manager 30 day full trial, it will not let me click the merge tool button no matter what. I then found the delete tool. I looked at the delete tool, but it does not do what i want and combine that partition with the 5 gig. I REALLY need help with this. I will take all suggestions for (free or full trialware) software that is easy to use, or someone can walk me through. thank you VERY MUCH!!!!! hurry, i might die by the low disk space bubble! lol.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with deleting/merging partitions.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with deleting/merging partitions.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why I bought such software.

In reply to: Need help with deleting/merging partitions.

That way it worked in full glory. But let me share that sometimes it fails. This is why I clone a drive before I try Partition Magic, Gparted or such. Are you ready if the partition software doesn't work out? Can you restore from your backup?

Some will only learn this lesson first hand.
Bob

Collapse -
I am way ahead of you

In reply to: Why I bought such software.

I am way ahead of you, i have a Backup DVD of my music and my documents, that is all that i need. Everything else can be reinstalled or deleted.

Collapse -
The go explore GPARTED

In reply to: I am way ahead of you

It may do something where the trials can't.

Collapse -
Referencing your statement that ...

I want to merge the 27 gig(drive j) with the 5 gig(drive c).

which Bob might have missed, you will not have much luck with any partitioning utility trying to merge non-adjacent partitions. (It is kind of like driving down an Interstate and wanting to merge into the parallel county access road but that darn strip of land and a fence (let's call it a partition adjacent to both Interstate and Access road) is in the way.)

Assuming you have C: (5GB), d: (5GB), E: (15GB), F: (20GB), G: (20GB), H: (40GB), I: (7GB), and J: (27GB), partitions and that J: is empty you will have to shift files from the other partitions (D:, E:, and F: that are adjacent to C:) onto the J: partition then resize and merge to your heart's content.
Collapse -
More info

In reply to: Referencing your statement that ...

They show up right next to each other in paragon, it is on the same drive, it just has a weird drive letter.

Collapse -
If what you're trying to do is make the "C" larger

and you've saved (or don't need what's on the rest of the diskspace) you'll probably need to delete the 'other adjacent partitions'. Once you've deleted the adjacent partitions...you SHOULD be able to expand C: to use the unallocated space.

Note: I have not used Partition Manager but have used Partition Magic to accomplish what you're trying to do. Like Bob said...it MAY be the case the TRAIL VERSION (of Partition Manager) has limited functionality and not do what you are trying to do without purchasing the full product.

Let us know.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Found a way to fix this.

To fix this problem you need to use a free program called EASUS Partition Manager http://tinyurl.com/49bpmo (download.com link).

You need to first delete your empty drive (in this case J:) then apply the changes.

Once you have done that move all the other drives down (using drag and drop) to the right of your newly unallocated space.

Then choose resize C: and it will let you combine as much or as little of the unallocated space as you like.

When you apply this it will take quite a while to move your data, bear with it.

Don't worry about data loss, i have used this many, many times and never lost anything.

Feel free to email me with any questions, markcharge@me.com.

Thanks,
Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!