Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need help with computer not turning on :-(

by Knightsofwar210 / August 10, 2008 5:24 AM PDT

Ok my laptop (Toshiba Satellite - A105-54164 System Unit, Model #66237247Q) was working yesterday afternoon and when I tried to turn it on later that day it wouldn't turn on.

When I plugged the computer into the wall to charge the charge light turns on like normal then turned off about 30 minutes later meaning that the battery is fully charged. I took out the battery and put it back in and the computer still wouldn't turn on. So I unplugged the computer and tapped the power button and nothing happened then I held down the power button for about 5 seconds and the wifi light turns on the caps lock light turns on and the lights below F10 and F11 turn on then when you tap the power button all the lights turn off except for the wifi light you have to turn the wifi switch off then on again for it to turn off. When you shut the lid the wifi light is still on and when you open it back up again all the same lights are still on.

The video of me doing this is coming soon. Thank you in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with computer not turning on :-(
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with computer not turning on :-(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The video
by Knightsofwar210 / August 10, 2008 5:40 AM PDT

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V93k2WDqPHk"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V93k2WDqPHk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Collapse -
The Tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2008 5:49 AM PDT
In reply to: The video

Preview your posts before posting.

Collapse -
Sorry :-)
by Knightsofwar210 / August 10, 2008 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: The Tip.
Collapse -
Link to your product.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2008 5:53 AM PDT
http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Toshiba-Toshiba-Satellite-A105-S4164-Laptop-Computer

While a nice machine the best thing to try is to remove all power, battery and then just put in the AC and try to turn it on. If it doesn't the usual failure is a dead device or the mainboard.

Just like THE DEAD PC on google.com you remove the hard disk, cdrom, wifi card and try it. If that doesn't help, use just one stick of RAM then none.

If still dead you should measure the cmos battery and share it's voltage here.

After that you want to replace it's motherboard.
Bob
Collapse -
How do I do that?
by Knightsofwar210 / August 10, 2008 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Link to your product.

If still dead you should measure the cmos battery and share it's voltage here

How do I do that?

Collapse -
In your case you won't.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2008 6:00 AM PDT
In reply to: How do I do that?

I was hoping you would be conversant with a voltmeter but as you are not the only hope is for you to buy and install a new cmos battery.

Don't take this wrong, it's a great thing to give it a try to fix it yourself.
Bob

Collapse -
RE:
by Knightsofwar210 / August 10, 2008 6:04 AM PDT

I was hoping you would be conversant with a voltmeter but as you are not the only hope is for you to buy and install a new cmos battery.

What is a cmos battery? I'm not afraid to try it out myself Happy

Collapse -
Catch up links for you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2008 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: RE:
Collapse -
oh ya
by Knightsofwar210 / August 10, 2008 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: How do I do that?

Can you provide me with a motherboard that is compatible with my computer? Oh and with a site that can install it for me because I don't want to break it, I need it to be affordable and reliable too.

Collapse -
Such boards
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2008 6:03 AM PDT
In reply to: oh ya

Are from you know who and ebay. Good luck with the replacement.

If you fear you can't do this yourself then take it to a shop. Remember the price tag for this repair is usually in the 550 buck range.
Bob

Collapse -
I'll try it out myself
by Knightsofwar210 / August 10, 2008 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Such boards

I'll try it out myself, I'm pretty good with computers it's just this has never happened to me before Happy

Collapse -
Thank you for helping me!
by Knightsofwar210 / August 10, 2008 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll try it out myself

Thank you for helping me!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.