Laptops forum

General discussion

Need help with comparing tablet laptop's for college

by sandysone / February 23, 2007 3:12 PM PST

going back to school after carpal tunnel/shoulder injury. Really need solid information as to the performance of a tablet laptop all brands. Will be heavily used in tablet mode! Need it to last 4years putting dragon speak and talk on it. So I know I need 2gb memory and atleast 100gb hard drive. Do I really need Window's Vista or will Windows XP be a better alternative. Looking to spend about $3,000.00. Business users out their give me your input as well please.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with comparing tablet laptop's for college
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with comparing tablet laptop's for college
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What models are you considering?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2007 3:13 AM PST

The tablet market never grew very big so you should be able to list the models you can get in your next post for members to comment on.

Remember to factor in a battery replacement in year 2 since that's when that battery will begin to fade.

Bob

Collapse -
need help considering tablet laptop for college
by sandysone / February 24, 2007 12:33 PM PST

It does not matter which brand. Tashiba, Lenovio, Fuijitsu, Gateway. Most student who use laptops plug into an outlet at school. But I need it for the writing of notes. Hands swell and shoulder freezes after taking notes in 2.5 hrs of class everyday 2-3 times a day. Handwriting becomes unrecognizable. Classes uses a lot of web-ct for homework assignments. would be nice to use stylus versus typing. Only suppose to type/write 30min per hour.

Collapse -
Good deal then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2007 9:56 PM PST

Just list what you can buy in your area. Here I see just one on the shelves.

What models are you looking at?

Bob

Collapse -
RE
by StargateFan / February 24, 2007 3:28 AM PST

I know you said that it would be used heavily as a tablet, but is a tablet really necessary? I almost always advise against getting one, but if it is necesary then by all means.

Collapse -
going back to school need help on tablet laptops
by sandysone / February 24, 2007 12:26 PM PST
In reply to: RE

I have carpal tunnel and a shoulder impingment. After 30 minuets of writing my shoulder and arm freezes/swells. Handwriting becomes unrecognizable. Tablet can read handwriting and turn in to type to study by. I don't have the luxury of regurgitating 2.5 hours of lecture per class into speak and talk. I'd never have time to study.

Collapse -
As such
by StargateFan / February 24, 2007 1:54 PM PST

Tablet pc's are a dead end product that many of us feel will be finally leaving what little marketplace it has. It is an unecessary device, I speak from experiance. The handwritting recognition technology isn't the greatest in the world, therefore when you reach a point where your arm begins to hurt from writing I doubt this machine would help you at all. I understand about your carpal tunnel, however I have to ask, how bad does it effect your typing. Do you feel pain at all, and if so after how long. I truly believe that a normal laptop will be alright for you. One feature that will be useful is a laptop with a built in camera and microphone where you can actually record the lecture. Then go back later bookmark various parts of the video file, or just watch it as a whole. What do you think?

Collapse -
looking fot tablet laptop for college
by sandysone / February 28, 2007 2:56 PM PST
In reply to: As such

I am only suppose to type/write 30min out of an hour. After my hand gives out I could rely on my micro tape recorder and then use the speak and talk. My handwriting becomes very unrecognizable. My ortho agrees I need something else to help me finish my studies. He suggested the speak and talk. I could use it and the stylus verses having my hand in the type position. How bad are the tablets? I don't know anyone with one.

Collapse -
need help choosing tablet laptop for college
by sandysone / February 28, 2007 3:05 PM PST
In reply to: As such

Which brand did you have and how long did you have it? I'm restricted to 30min per hour befor requiring 30 min break. I am a science major so my lectures are long and pretty involved. Instructors use ppt presentation and still lecture on top of that. Homework is computer driven as well.

Collapse -
RE
by StargateFan / February 28, 2007 9:11 PM PST

Did you consider what I said about recording the lecutrues via the microphone and the built in camera? About seeing anybody with one, I just have to say one thing, exactly. They aren't really a useful or good product. I tried a Lenovo once had it for about 3 months and couldn't wait to get rid of it. I really don't see the point and just think generally the idea is a little dumb. I totally understand about your medical requirements but I definately don't think that you would be better off with a tablet. Let me know

Collapse -
need help considering tablet laptop for college
by sandysone / March 1, 2007 12:02 AM PST

Recording through the laptop is a waste of time. I know of know one who records lecture that way. Everyone just takes notes from the board. I already use the micro-recorder to back up my notes. When hand gets tired or something I did not catch I write the # down from the recorder and ff at home to that section to add to the note taking. I don't have that kind of time to go through 2.5hrs of lecture notes and edit. It would be the equivalent of going through the class again. It would be simpler to write the main points and listen to lecture then speak and talk at home than to use your suggestion. No one has that kind of time, I'm carrying 18credits. I don't think you understand how bad carpal tunnel really is. I am effected by everything I do, not just my school work. By the end of the day I can barely turn a door knob. My grasp, gripping, torqueing, lifting everything I do effects my hands and especially my shoulder. From dialing a phone to pressing buttons on the remote control of the T.V. I feel it all. I know that the computer is not going to address ALL of my needs. I am looking for equipment to take the STRESS off of my hands and shoulder. Not contribute to it. What year was your Lenovo. I am told the software has greatly improved in the last year as far as response to the stylus. Which laptop would you recommend for a Science major. software from books all use java,adobe etc for the 3-d models of muscle,bones, cells, and etc... Remember I'm throwing a Speak N Talk equivalent to the Dragon 9 on the market, but the professional version. I appreciate your help but wonder under what conditions you used the tablet under?

Collapse -
RE
by StargateFan / March 1, 2007 5:27 AM PST

I apologize if I am making you angry it is that would like you to just get the best possible computer available. As far as recommedning a laptop for a science major, which kind of laptop do you ant me to recommend, a regular laptop or a tablet? The tablet I used was an X40, I tested it vigoruously for use in a business setting/school setting.

Collapse -
Need help in choosing tablet laptop for college
by sandysone / March 1, 2007 11:08 AM PST

No, your not making me angry. I apologize if that's how my response came across. I have a HP ze2309nr and it's worthless. My physical therapist has suggested that from what she has read the tablet would be a great solution. The tablet would be for in class use only. She recommends a desktop for home because she wants me to use a different set up with roller ball mouse keyboard and speak n talk. Our goal is to limit the use with right hand/arm so I'm not faced with another surgery interupting school. I know I'd never be able to keep up typing notes in class, arm would tire to easily. Your suggestion is way to time consuming. I'm trying to cram my classes in so I can hit graduate school by 2008-2009 school year. If any of the tablet pc's have an overall better than average hand to type recognition program. That's the model I want to consider. I have sent the info for consideration to my orthopedic surgeons. They all agree I need adaptive equipment. I don't use copies of students notes because I often find them incomplete. (I would be going through lecture again to fill in what I feel they missed. That's why I said I could just tape and then do speak n talk at home. But it's time consuming, I'd never have time to study.) It's a service available for orthopdic disabilities at colleges for which I qualify for. If the new models don't have a better program than a laptop might not be for me. Again the typing issue for me is critical. I saw in one of the other threads what VA Tech did. How can I get my hands on that research? Year it was implimented, major issues that made them stop requiring all student of engineering to use them and simply made them a recommendation. And the model students feel works best for them now.

Collapse -
Sorry
by StargateFan / March 2, 2007 3:53 AM PST

All mainstream tablet pc's utilize Microsoft software. Thus not one tablet will be better then another as far as handwritting is concerned. So it's fair game either way, you are going to have problems with the handwritting recognition, this I can gurantee. I would recommend utilizing mostly the voice recognition interface. Good Luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.