Laptops forum

General discussion

need help with choosing the right laptop!

by rsftl / December 16, 2007 5:56 AM PST

hi, its boxing day next week here in canada and iam going to buy a laptop on that day. So i need some help. I've picked out a few laptops i like and that are in my budget:

HP DV6629CA
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10093668&catid=25315&CMP=BAC-FS_hbad_t2_s1-EN

Sony VAIO VGNNR160ES
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10095762&logon=&langid=EN

HP Pavilion DV6648SE
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10093644&catid=25253&logon=&langid=EN

there was another laptop, which bestbuy and futureshop have apparently removed from their site but the specs for that were:
17" screen, 2gb ram,1.5ghz core 2 duo and Nvidia 8600GM'

I've tried building a laptop on dell, but when i choose the same specifications as some of the laptops here, it gives me a way higher price so thats why im thinking of staying away from dell, and also i can probably get a much better deal in store on boxing day, compared to ordering online at regular price from dell.

so out of these four laptops, which one would be the best? Iam a high school studentand im paying for this laptop myself so it has to be around or under 1k. For me performance and look is what matters, i dont care about the size..i only care about the processor, ram and the graphics card. I wont do much gaming on this, but i want the laptop to be able to atleast run games like warcraft easily. I do most of my gaming on my ps3 anyways. Also is the Nvidia 8600GM a good graphics card? the last option( on the list above) looks the most appealing to me specially with that graphics card. Also, one more thing...bestbuy in canada has now started matching US prices, so if you guys have any laptops $1k or below feel free to give me a link, and if bestbuy sells that laptop i could get a price match if the prices arent the same. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need help with choosing the right laptop!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need help with choosing the right laptop!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My 2 cents
by faisalk / December 17, 2007 6:38 AM PST

I am shopping for a laptop as well, hoping to get a super deal this holiday season.
I really wanted to get the sony - it's definitely better designed than most other laptops on display at FS and BB. The problem with Sony is that they don't score too well on the specs. $699 is a good deal for a sony, but no web cam, 1G ram, and a relatively small HDD.
Of the 2 HPs, I saw both in the store today. For the same price, I would go for the Future shop version - DV6629CA. You get bluetooth, lightscribe DVD/CD, a very interesting fingerprint reader (which I tried and was sold on). The base specs are amazing, 250G HDD, 2G Ram, and a centrino processor. I saw a post where a user got 5 hours of battery life with the model. It also looks nice, but for sheer looks, you can't beat sony, as a rule I would say. I would suggest you check out the HP at future shop - it's quite impressive. Frankly, at this price this machine is somewhat of a powerhouse (keep in mind though that it doesn't have discreet video memory or card - it is on the motherboard - so if you are looking for great acrobats on the video side, you'll have to go to either Acer with great video cards (but ugly designs) - or pay more for a HP/Sony/Toshiba). You'll notice that if you are willing to settle for an AMD processor, the manufactures will throw in better video and sound due to the savings on the processor.

Collapse -
One other thing
by faisalk / December 17, 2007 6:45 AM PST

I went to BB and FS today, and noticed that they have quite a few laptops on display that are not on the website. I would suggest a visit to a store with high foot traffic (e.g. Future shop at Kennedy and Lawrence if you're in the east end).
By the way if you are over the 599/699 range and are touching $1000, the choice is quite wide. Between FS and BB there are around 25-30 laptops. I would check out Acer as well (I personally don't like the design), they offer the most bang for the buck. One version for $799 at futureshop has top notch video (512 Dedicated-Nvidia), but I am not sure if it is available online. It also has 250G hard drive, and 2G ram, and a centrino processor.

Collapse -
thanks for the reply
by rsftl / December 17, 2007 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: One other thing

i will be visiting fs and bb on wednesday. I have noticed the thing with laptops that have AMD processors too, they seem to have better graphic cards. Although i think the core 2 duo is more superior than the amd dual cores so im not sure about this. I really like the look of the sony but i'll agree that spec wise, you get alot more with an hp...and yeah my budget is around 700-900ish but i guess it could be stretched a little....

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!