Cameras forum

General discussion

Need help with choosing a camera

by abrilg2432 / January 7, 2010 10:29 AM PST

I am an amateur when it comes to photography but I would like to pursue it more. I am looking for a camera that is great for still shots, I don't care too much about video recording, and I really want it (and this is at the top my list) to capture all the colors since I mainly take scenic shots. I also want it to have a high resolution and zoom. Since I am an amateur I need it to easily shoot and not be too sensitive to the tiniest bit of movement, If I am taking a pick of a bird for example, and the bird suddenly opens it's wings I want the camera to capture that and not get blurry. I heard about slow shutter, I am not quite sure about it but a friend recommended that I get a camera with that. Now I need a camera that is really durable and doesn't easily break. I live in a small town so it would be pretty difficult to find someone nearby to fix it. Price isn't too much of an issue I'll save up all year if I have to, but it would be nice if the price range wasn't over $850. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with choosing a camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with choosing a camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
To help you out
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / January 7, 2010 11:35 AM PST

Your scenario of the bird opening it's wings involves two different things. The "shutter lag" is the time from when you click the shutter to the time it takes the photo. A fast shutter lag means it would be able to take the photo almost instantly right after you click the shutter.

The second part was that you didn't want it to be blurry. This involves "shutter speed", the amount of time that the shutter stays open to properly expose the scene.

The shutter lag is easy to found out on a camera but the shutter speed is dependent on the lens of the camera and how much light the scene has. I couldn't tell you any camera that will guarantee a non-blurry image in any situation.

Collapse -
Thank you for your help
by abrilg2432 / January 7, 2010 1:05 PM PST
In reply to: To help you out

So if the camera has a fast shutter speed then it has a higher chance of catching the image like my example of a bird? I understand that there can?t be a guarantee of a non-blurry image but I have noticed that some cameras are more sensitive than others to movement, now I know it must be due to the shutter speed or the shutter lag. My sister has used several cameras for taking photos for her online business the first was a Sony Mavica (I can?t remember the exact model but it is a few years old) and it was so hard to get the image to be clear because it was so sensitive but now she has a Fuji Finepix S5200 and it?s a lot easier to get a clear shot, and that is what I would like in my own camera. I love the Fuji but I don?t feel it gets all of the colors and I would like to catch a bird opening its wings but this camera doesn?t seem fast enough for it, so I would like to get a different one. Would you by chance know of any that has what I'm looking for?

Collapse -
you almost have it
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / January 7, 2010 4:49 PM PST

You're still mixing up shutter lag with shutter speed, but just the name. I'm guessing that you want superzoom camera to take photos of birds and the one I would suggest would be the Panasonic FZ35. It's shutter lag is a hair over 3/10ths of a second, which is not much more than DSLR. Don't look at the Panasonic ZS1 or ZS3 because their shutter lag is twice as much. Panasonic seem to be the leaders right now in the superzoom category.

Collapse -
Thanks
by abrilg2432 / January 9, 2010 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: you almost have it

Ok I will look into that one Thank you very much!

Collapse -
another amateurs opinion
by homey65 / January 10, 2010 3:45 PM PST

I reviewed alot of dslr cameras Nikon,Olympus,Canon,Panasonic,and I ended up liking the sony A550 dslr,Took a chance on buying the camera and so far have not been disappointed in the results of the camera.
14.2mp.iso is 200-12800, has steadyshot built in the mainbody,helps with blur, 5fps in some modes and 7fps in other modes, good shots indoors as well in low light very user friendly as well. paid 949.00 for the kit,came with 2 kit lenses 18-55mm and 55-200mm zoom lens,I know what they say about kit lenses, but for the amateur like me its just fine for now, can always upgrade later. so give it a review.
Also sony bought minolta, so u can use the older minolta lenses as well.

Collapse -
Camera choice
by personnorton1 / January 14, 2010 6:49 PM PST

Hello,

I'm in the same situation as yourself, except I can't afford a too expensive camera.

After a lot of searching, I have pinpointed my choice to a Cannon SX20, ( I think that's the number) It sells for less than $400. It has all the options I think I'll ever need. 1st of the month,(payday for me) is when I'm gonna get it.

Just thought I'd send you my two cents worth

Collapse -
Thanks
by abrilg2432 / January 15, 2010 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: Camera choice

thanks I'll be sure to look at it Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?