General discussion

Need help with a wireless problem

The elderly lady next door was given a baby cam to use to watch her mare, which is due to deliver in mid Feb. She usually sleeps in the barn on those cold Feb nights.
The siginal from the baby cam does not reach her house, which is 200' from the metal sided barn. She gets a siginal for about 50 ft.
She does not have any money, so this has to be a very low cost to this solution.
Is there any way to get the siginal to the baby monitor in the house?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Need help with a wireless problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need help with a wireless problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Yes.

But part of the distance must be wired. Why? Because the device in question does not work with the usual WiFi solutions.
Bob

- Collapse -
experiment

I took a direct tv dish and placed the baby moniter in front of it and both of these items were just inside the barn. I had a direct line of site to the house. This did extend the range, because I got reception all the way to the house. Last time I tried this we lost reception 20' before we got to the house.
My plan is to take a 2.4ghz antenna attach it to a coaxil cable and feed it through to the other side of the metal wall. On the outside I will attach this end to another 2.4 Ghz antenna and use the direct dish to focus the signal.
I would appreciate any suggestions.

- Collapse -
That sort of solution

Is for those that accept the nature of the hack. If you had wired the signal for 50 or more feet you would have been done for most conditions. Rain attenuates the signal so you know that it will drop out during such weather.
Bob

CNET Forums