TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Need help with a surround sound system for my home

by slaytn23 / November 5, 2013 1:51 PM PST

I have recently moved into a new home and I am looking to build/create/add a moderate surround sound system. A couple years back I won a Bose Accoustimass 15 system from my employer. The system is still pretty new, It hasn't been used really.

I know there are a lot of people who hate Bose because of the lack of quality, but it is a cheap option in my scenario (only need a receiver)
I would really like some decent speakers, sub and receiver. I have a 55 Sony Bravia Led tv with 3d blu ray player currently.

My living room size is roughly 20x20

I was looking at some Polk Audio MC60 in ceiling speakers and getting somewhere between 4-6 with a Polk psw111 for the sub. Thoughts? suggestions? recommendations?

I really want something that sounds pretty good, Im recovering from a major spine surgery and am stuck watching a lot of Blu Rays.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with a surround sound system for my home
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with a surround sound system for my home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why not use the Bose ?
by itsdigger / November 5, 2013 2:19 PM PST

You already have them and they don't sound bad. Save some money and use them while you recover from surgery, That'll give you a chance to see if you Really want to buy another system.....Digger

Collapse -
I agreed with Digger.
by Oldartq / November 5, 2013 2:38 PM PST

I don't think Bose sound bad, I just don't think they are worth what they ask for. They maybe over priced but I think they do sound pretty good and since you already have it so why not use them.

Collapse -
Avoid the in ceiling speakers
by Pepe7 / November 5, 2013 11:57 PM PST

Those won't be properly producing/directing the sound if your intend is to set up a proper HT and maximize your sound quality, while staying inside a budget. Plus, the MC60s are nothing special; also overpriced.

The Bose would be a good enough entry level system for the 20x20 room, although clearly you could do better for the same money if you had the resources and desire to start from scratch and place the Bose in a secondary space (like I did, actually).

I have one suggestion for you. Since you already have the speakers, HDTV & BD player ready to go, you could shop around for a great receiver that suits your needs, and fits your budget. Use the Bose for now, then later on, once you become more comfortable in HT/AV gear, upgrade your speakers/sub. The receiver will still be a great hub for that system, and the Bose can easily be transferred to a different room/space, or sold as needed to fund the speaker upgrade. It's a win-win as I see it.

If you don't have a huge need for all the bells/whistles, there are plenty of adequate receiver for sale now in the $300-400 range, give or take. I mostly like Onkyo, Denon & Pioneer. It depends on what you are after though- other brands would work suitable well. Just don't be in a hurry.

Collapse -
Sorry- forgot a couple of links regarding speaker placement
by Pepe7 / November 6, 2013 12:00 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks for all the help.
by slaytn23 / November 6, 2013 8:47 AM PST

While I understand keeping the Bose because I already have it, the stupid subwoofer and the way the speakers run through it really annoy me. Obviously I can get a new sub and move this one to a different room. I have a man cave that I was thinking about putting the bose in but I have a feeling my kids would end up watching their movies in there instead of the living room.

I do plan on getting a solid receiver with at least the 4k whistles for future needs. I could in theory set up two rooms in one shot here if I play my cards right. The downside is that I have an older Yahmaha receiver without hdmi hookups. Have any of you guys used a rca to hdmi converter? Is it worth the money? I could possible get one to use my old receiver in my man cave and add a few speakers in there and possibly that bose subwoofer and then get a solid sub for the living room.

Any suggestions on subwoofers?

I appreciate all the help guys, your guys comments are much appreciated.

Collapse -
At this point, you need to choose a specific path
by Pepe7 / November 6, 2013 10:38 AM PST

Are you outfitting one room now, or two rooms? Just to keep the discussion more focused. Makes it easier to help Wink

Also, what is your approx. budget, and which system components do you feel you will end up buying?

Keep in mind that you cannot mix/match a new sub with your old Bose speakers, or move that Bose sub elsewhere to work w/ different (non-Bose) speakers. (note: it's really a bass module and not a true sub). It's a proprietary device mated to those speakers. Whether you are aware of this is not clear to me the way you phrase things above Wink

I am not certain where HDMI to RCA falls into the picture here, but in general, such converters fail miserably. Which actual model is your older Yamaha? Just so I can help you find a proper alternative if any exists. Keep in mind that you do not need to run video through the old receiver. Or are you looking to connect equipment to an older CRT? Again, give us more granular details so we know what you are working with.

cheers

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.