Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need help with a clean windows xp reinstall

by [agent]x / May 30, 2005 10:47 AM PDT

Ok, well I hope you guys can help me on this one. I have a dell 8300 and windows xp and ive been getting some bugs where i couldn't even dl SP2 or update directX, so I decided I wanted to do a clean reinstall and start from scratch. I backed up all the files i wanted and i got out my windows xp sp1 reinstall cd that came with my dell. I didn't know what I was doing so i followed a website that said to change the bios to boot from a CD drive first. I did this, but it refused to boot from the cd. So I gave up and just ran windows and put in the reinstall cd there. I told it to install, and it did. It then said later on what drives i wanted to partition, and the website had said delete them all, but it said deleting the main partition would delete crucial files for windows so it wouldn't let me. So i just installed on same drive that already had windows and toild it to override old stuff. This left me with what appeared a new clean windows, but all my programs and files still remained, so what i hoped for didnt happen.

My question for you is: what can I do now to complete a clean reinstall?
If i could get some really basic steps to follow it would be a huge help.

Also, I currently can't even get on the internet because my cable modem isn't being recognized (I'm on my brothers computer). So, if someone could explain how to get the newly cleaned windows to use my cable modem that would help also.

So if you could help me with the clean reinstall and getting my internet working again, I would really appreciate it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with a clean windows xp reinstall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with a clean windows xp reinstall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
booting XP CD
by AussiePete / May 30, 2005 1:55 PM PDT

1/ You need to try and get that CD booting first, although there are other ways which I will tell you later, lets first get the CD to boot.
2/ Does the message appear during the boot process asking if you want to boot to your CD?
3/ Also is it the original or a copy you made?
4/ If the disk is not the "original" this is your problem. If it is the original, you need to give it a clean in some warm lightly soapy water and wipe with a very soft cloth - get your brother to make a copy using a disk at once copy - that way you will know if it has any bad spots - making a copy can sometime produce a better quality disk for booting. The system only gives the CD a few seconds to boot so if the disk is hard to read it tries the next boot device.
5/ check to see if the light on the CDROM is coming on when you boot.
6/ If the above fails you will need to download the boot floppy disk set from from M$ - this is the Home edition:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E8FE6868-6E4F-471C-B455-BD5AFEE126D8&displaylang=en
7/ once you have made a set of floppies you just then have to boot to the floppy drive
8/ the following link is from Dell to tell you how to do a clean install
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?DN=1080607#ATA
9/ Note that even if you do a clean install your non systems folder where your programs are stored wont be deleted - but they wont be register with the system and therefore you will have to reinstall them - this is probably what has happened on your last attempt!!!!!! - so you may have already a clean install - it just a matter of deleting and reinstalling those programs.
Peter

Collapse -
strange
by [agent]x / May 31, 2005 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: booting XP CD

well, I think I did something very strange when I installed while in windows. It appears that I may have done a clean install like you said because all the programs remained but no longer work. So I deleted all of them and I thought I was good. Yet, now whenever I start up my computer it asks me to choose between windows XP and windows XP. When I pick the top one it works fine, but when I pick the bottom it says it can't work and I just choose the top. If these means I somehow have 2 windows xp's installed, can you explain how to get rid of the nonworking version.

Also, I am having internet difficulties as well which you can see in the appropriate forum. Thank you for your help!

Collapse -
Reformat & clean install as "Willy" has suggested
by AussiePete / May 31, 2005 10:39 PM PDT
In reply to: strange

you have installed 2 instances of XP (called parallel install)
If you start from the beginning you may eliminate all your problems, if not at least you will have eliminated a possible cause!.
Peter

Collapse -
how can i delete?
by [agent]x / June 1, 2005 2:11 AM PDT

I am happy with my computer as it is now since it appears that all my programs were removed. Now, how could I delete this second windows xp that I have installed. Every time I start up my computer I have to choose the top Windows xp because the bottom choice prints a message and then procedes to the first choice.

Collapse -
Bowel of spaghetti
by AussiePete / June 1, 2005 12:37 PM PDT
In reply to: how can i delete?

It is going to be easier just to put the installation disk in your CDROM, reformat and install a "clean" installation of XP - Doing what you have requested (installing just one of the XP versions) is full of "ifs and buts - If you dont do a clean install you maybe left with legacy items which may confuse your system resulting in systems crashes, which the cause may not be apparent in the future.
To add to this, depending on the nature of the 2 installations, it may not be a simple procedure and fraught with danger. Take my word of experience, do a clean install - beside the alternative you are suggesting is just not practicable by posting messages.
Peter

Collapse -
Recheck from scratch
by Willy / May 31, 2005 12:07 AM PDT

Boot from CD, you need to re-enter the bios, select boot from CD 1st, then "save" upon exit. If your XP OS disk is OK, it will attempt to boot from it, once it does you have the selection menu to proceed. You do get that far??? after the above bios correction? If not, you got another problem. Make sure your XP OS cd is clean and/or the cd drive is as well. Then attempt to reload the OS. If this still doesn't work, contact Dell for another XP OS cd for your model and pay a minor cost or buy a retail version(ouch!). To fully delete everything on the HD, use this pgm. KILLDISK from http://www.killdisk.com get the free version for floppy. Once gotten, run it and it wipe out everything, period. Upon completion and 1st boot device is CD, now try loading windoze via the CD drive. You should get to the mneu and when it/if asks to make a 2nd hidden partiton accept that, in other words just like it came from the factory(default) or similar wording. Hopefully, that will do it.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?