HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Need help with a choice

by LRC812 / June 29, 2008 1:18 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help with a choice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help with a choice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
These are not gaming machines so...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2008 11:43 PM PDT

It's a close call either way. Another issue is that both have reports of overheating when people run them 24x7 or when gaming. These are not desktop replacements so you'll want a laptop cooling pad to attempt 24 hour operation.

Nothing stands out on either. A friend has the HP unit and there is nothing to report except they feel like it's slow. But that's Vista for you and it would do same on almost any machine.
Bob

Collapse -
Ok..well could you
by LRC812 / June 30, 2008 1:12 AM PDT

kinda give me some similar or more recommended product that would be around a $850 budget...and im not an extreme gamer but would hate to have a laptop that was terrible for it and would constanly over heat because chances are ill be on it alot since i start school in the fall. And would you recommend AMD or Intel for a processor? I have had intel in all my computers and really am unimpressed but have heard good things about their Dual core technology. THANKS!

Collapse -
What games?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok..well could you

Remember that no under 1K laptop currently runs games like Crysis today well. Also there is a lot to be said about trying to take your family VAN out on the weekend stockcar races. You won't finish or perform well.

Here's the hit list for a gamer laptop.

1. Nvidia 8800 class or better video solution.
2. 2GB RAM (more is mostly marketing.)
3. Dual Core CPUs. Core 2 preferred.

If you find a "name" with that you may have a winner. However the issues you do get with gaming laptops is short battery times and hot operation. Think about that laptop cooling pad. Wait, just get one.
Bob

Collapse -
OK
by LRC812 / June 30, 2008 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: What games?

I would really just use the graphics card for mostly watching movies and online video streaming and the only game i could see myself buying is Starcraft 2 if it ever comes out..Both of those computers have AMD x2 2ghz processors is that bad? I cant see myself affording an 8800 series graphics card or 2.4ghz processor so i guess the nvidia 7150 would be a better choice over that ATI X1270? And just by overall brand name and quality would you go with HP, gateway or dell??

Collapse -
That the ford, chevy, chrysler question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2008 6:02 AM PDT
In reply to: OK

All are about the same quality. As to which video is better both are non-gamer solutions so a coin flip or a benchmark is needed. As to the CPU this is the value unit so it's a good value.

You'll find naysayers on all those brands so I can't agree one is worse than the other.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.