HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Need help which laptop to get for small business

by dknepp / May 12, 2009 7:25 AM PDT

I'm starting a new Small business and need help on which laptop and features to get on it. I'm not by any means computer savy as to what might need on the bones of the computer.

The business I'm starting is a Mural business. I would be using the laptop to show my work to clients, download & store photos,create invoices, flyers ect., normal small business accounting, inventory...
Also have an interet web site, emails.

I would like last for couple of years, before maybe having to up grade but also need to budget concious

I been looking a dell studio 17. around the $1200.

Can someone please assist me..
Thank you
Dawn

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help which laptop to get for small business
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help which laptop to get for small business
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Need help which laptop to get for small business
by diazed129 / May 12, 2009 12:35 PM PDT

So you just need a laptop for normal usage i can say, not for gaming or design.
$1200 for Dell is a little expensive, look at this Dell Mini 10v netbook: here, i just bought one no it for a decent price, and you can change the features as your own need.

Collapse -
One word . . .
by Coryphaeus / May 13, 2009 12:22 AM PDT

Levono.

IBM.

They make business laptops. I currently have three, and three others are with family members. All still working perfectly.

Collapse -
Need bunch Help on Laptops
by dknepp / May 13, 2009 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: One word . . .

Thank for the info. But I need more help. I'm not computer savy at all. I'm lost as to what I need or what computer to get.

Need advise as to what needs to be on the computer for starting a small Mural business from home.

I'd be using it for showing my work to customers on the go, storing lots of photos, web site, invoices inventory, schedualing, and basic business things. I would also need to have a lot of the photo shop programs on it.

Does anyone have more detail infor they can share or help me with.

THank you Dawn

Collapse -
OK, try here . . .
by Coryphaeus / May 13, 2009 4:21 AM PDT
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/na/LenovoPortal/en_US/special-offers.workflow:ShowPromo?LandingPage=/All/US/Landing_pages/Promos/Thinkpad-laptops-for-small-business&ipromoID=hpa00473&

The T500 would be excellent for your needs. Powerful processor, lots of RAM, and an enhanced graphics setup for photos. Great spring prices.

IBM/Levono products are designed for business. Excellent support here in the states. Next time you are in a professional environment, take note of what other professionals are using.

I used to do course development for AT&T. I used my ThinkPad as a desktop. It never missed a beat and I used Power Point, extreme graphics, and all versions of Microsoft Office.
Collapse -
One more link . . .
by Coryphaeus / May 13, 2009 4:26 AM PDT

Five of my ThinkPads came from here

http://www-304.ibm.com/shop/americas/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/default/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=-840&langId=-1&categoryId=2576396

Collapse -
This might help!
by CodyG [WINDOWS-TEAM] / May 14, 2009 5:57 AM PDT

Dawn-

First off, congrats on your new business! Something that is pretty useful for narrowing down your search might be this new application out from Microsoft called ?Laptop Scout,? which is designed to help people find a computer that best fits their needs and budget. Here?s a link to the site: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-laptop-scout/default.aspx

I did a quick search on the site using some of the things you mentioned (storage space, web access, $1200 budget) and came up with a few potential matches for you. One of them is the Samsung P460, which costs around $1176, has all the features you?re looking for, and even comes with a fingerprint lock for added security. Another option could be the Lenovo IdeaPad U330, which is a little cheaper.
A great thing about the Laptop Scout is that it also provides links back to Cnet.com reviews, so you can make sure you have all the info you need to find the laptop that fits you and your business? needs. I hope you find it useful!

Be sure to let me know what model you finally decide on!
Thanks,
Cody
Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
Here you go.
by Renegade Knight / May 15, 2009 7:15 AM PDT

Lenovo T400.

I suggest that over the T500 because you want to take it around to clients. The T500 is a 15" and the T400 is a 14" they are about the same though the 14 has a couple more monitor options.

Get the version with a Nigh Nit Display. The briger display will help clients visualize. Other than that you could get the cheapest version that they have for your needs.

2bg of RAM would suffice if you want to upgrade.

Beyond that, your needs are really basic so this will do the job.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.