Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Need help w/ZoneAlarm. Unable to udate definitions

by jayhawkfan90 / December 22, 2006 2:54 AM PST

Hi.

I tried the ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite free trial for 15 days. Everything worked great. I purchased a License Key roughly one week ago. Everything again fine for a couple of days. For three days now, I have been unable to update my virus definitions. When I attempt, I get the error message "Error: Could not resolve server."

Also for the past three days, my ZoneAlarm keeps shutting down for no reason. I get the message that "TrueVector service is shutting down." My windows security center informs me though that the firewall is active, but I have no Anti-Virus protection.

Here is the kicker. I also can't log onto the ZoneLabs website through either Mozilla or IE7. The Mozilla error message is as follows: "Firefox can't find the server at www.zonelabs.com"

I have not seen any other posts with similar problems.

I did try and reinstall the program with the exact same results.

Does anyone know an e-mail contact to their support center or maybe a support telephone number.

Also, is anyone else having similar problems?

Thanks SO MUCH for any assistance!

Jodie

If needed, I am running Windows XP on a Dell Inspiron E1505 with plenty of memory and a sufficient hard drive. System has been running fine until just recently. I have not installed any other software or hardware applications.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help w/ZoneAlarm. Unable to udate definitions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help w/ZoneAlarm. Unable to udate definitions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ZoneAlarm
by Seated / December 22, 2006 3:02 AM PST

I'm using ZoneAlarm's free firewall and have not been able to check for updates today.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks. Maybe they are having server probs
by jayhawkfan90 / December 22, 2006 3:30 AM PST
In reply to: ZoneAlarm
Collapse -
Yes, ZoneAlarm IS having problems with their
by roddy32 / December 22, 2006 3:38 AM PST

update servers. I'm getting a lot of reports from my other forums. I would just wait a while and try them later. I'm sure they will fix it as soon as possible. At least you know the problem is on THEIR end and not YOURS. Happy

Collapse -
Server issues or Windows' issue?
by camanda / December 22, 2006 8:39 AM PST

Has their been confirmation from ZoneLabs that they have server issues? The start of my inability to connect to update ZoneAlarm Security Suite 2006 strangely coincides with my 10,000th Microsoft Windows'critical update of 2006.

Collapse -
I am now able to connect
by jayhawkfan90 / December 22, 2006 8:47 AM PST

After 2 days, I have successfully updated all components.

Collapse -
Sorry, Mr. Gates!
by camanda / December 22, 2006 8:59 AM PST

I, too, have been able to get updates so it must have been ZoneLabs' server at fault. Hopefully, none the Microsoft storm troopers read my disparaging comment about having received 10,000 "critical" updates in 2006. I'm frantically trying to duct tape the head back onto my Bill Gates bobble head before he sees it through my monitor!

Collapse -
(NT) Glad it's fixed for you.
by roddy32 / December 22, 2006 9:25 AM PST
Collapse -
It is/was a confirmed ZoneLabs issue. I have
by roddy32 / December 22, 2006 9:23 AM PST

been busy doing other things and I don't know if it was resolved or not yet.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by jayhawkfan90 / December 22, 2006 10:10 AM PST

Usually these things are my fault! Hope your issues were resolved as well.

Collapse -
(NT) I didn't have any issues,Just trying to help,Youre welcome
by roddy32 / December 22, 2006 10:31 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!
Collapse -
As of December 24...
by BlueLander / December 23, 2006 7:29 PM PST

I am still unable to get virus and spyware definition updates, and the ZoneAlarm ad box on this form gives a "Problem loading page" error.

ZoneLabs problems are back?

Collapse -
Not that I am aware of but it is possible of
by roddy32 / December 23, 2006 8:13 PM PST
In reply to: As of December 24...
Collapse -
Hmm...
by BlueLander / December 24, 2006 9:08 PM PST

I'm starting to wonder, because the forum link in your post doesn't work either...

Collapse -
I just tried the link. It works fine for
by roddy32 / December 24, 2006 10:21 PM PST
In reply to: Hmm...

me and I tried all 3 browsers that I have IE7, FireFox 2.0.0.1 and Opera 9.10. It sounds to me like maybe the firewall isn't configured correctly. Have you been using this program for a while or is it new to you?? Have to done anything else to the computer lately that might be blocking it??

Collapse -
I get anti spyware but anyivirus says theres a problem: erro
by RDEGR1 / December 25, 2006 1:10 AM PST

I've been using this for months with no problem now i can't get updates I have been running a stand alone aries removerinst.win32 pipeline and virtumonde_remover

Collapse -
That is what was happening to me originally...
by jayhawkfan90 / December 25, 2006 1:23 AM PST

supposedly able to update anti spyware but not anti virus. However, their server was definitely down at the time, so I doubt it was really updating the anti spyware. I am now able to update. Can you get onto the ZoneLabs website?

Collapse -
zone Labs website
by RDEGR1 / December 25, 2006 2:17 AM PST

I've tried ie7 and firefox independant of the zonealarm program and I get the same old cant connect to server tried changing a whole bunch of firewall settings nothing works might just try a complete re-install

Collapse -
Win32.Pipeline Removal Tool Released for AIM worm
Collapse -
Had the program for around 9 months...
by BlueLander / December 26, 2006 8:48 PM PST

never had a problem before. I don't seem to have a problem accessing any other Web site I try, I'm getting all of my mail messages. It just seems to be an issue when trying to visit the ZoneLabs site, or download the definitions. I will continue to try...

Collapse -
ZoneLabs e-mail address
by BlueLander / December 26, 2006 8:55 PM PST

Does anyone have an e-mail address I can use to contact ZoneLabs directly? I know they push everyone to the forums for help, but I can't access them anymore...

Collapse -
If you can access this link here, there
by roddy32 / December 26, 2006 9:53 PM PST

are quite a number of different ways to contact them providing you have a registered copy of one of their paid programs..
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/support.jsp;jsessionid=FS5646FzIIbcLu8go8w2ayot9OLG6bGsxjiZVYeDf6w3iZYzJxVT!1183262050!-1062696904!7551!7552!NONE?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en&lid=nav_csmain

If you can not access that link, here is one of them. Unless I missd it, I did not see an e-mail address for help.

Telephone

Now you can have access to Zone Labs expert technical support by telephone simply by calling a toll-free number (charged to your credit card) or a 900 number, charged to your phone bill.

Toll-free Premium Phone Support

* Call 877-365-ZONE (9663)
* Hours of operation: 8:00AM to 5:00PM, Pacific Time, Monday through Friday (excluding major holidays)
* Cost is $2.95 per minute, billed to your Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover card
* Products supported: All ZoneAlarm

Collapse -
Thank you roddy32
by BlueLander / December 26, 2006 10:10 PM PST

I have done a little more searching on-line, and the issue I am experiencing appears to be related to DNS settings. On someone else's advice, I decided to try using openDNS to see if that would help, and I am now able to see the ZoneLabs web sites, and download virus and spyware definitions.

If anyone else is having problems even accessing ZoneLabs to get help, openDNS might be a workaround.

Collapse -
(NT) That is good news. You're welcome :)
by roddy32 / December 26, 2006 10:59 PM PST
In reply to: Thank you roddy32
Collapse -
Problem solved ?
by ehabmehedi / December 27, 2006 2:34 AM PST

Urm.. i dont thing the problem exists any more.

I believe the problem was somewhere in your connection ( ISP or somewhere in between your ISP and the gateway whereever ) .

Collapse -
That is correct. The original problem WAS a Zone
by roddy32 / December 27, 2006 3:17 AM PST
In reply to: Problem solved ?

Alarm server problem that was fixed a few days ago. The other poster that had a problem was also resolved this morning by changing a DNS setting so this thread is done unless someone else jumps in without reading the other posts which is more than likely to happen.

Collapse -
(NT) ZA link worked for me on FF
by acoxon1274 / December 24, 2006 11:13 PM PST
In reply to: Hmm...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!