Laptops forum

General discussion

Need help w/wireless Laptop

by Myingan / November 8, 2004 7:51 AM PST

At my home I have a desktop HP Pavillion,I have cable internet on it & I'm the only one who uses it. I recently bought a wireless notebook (HP pavillion) so as to do some lessons while traveling. I know I might need a router, but do I also need a PC card too, one like this?:
Linksys Instant Wireless Network PC Card, WPC11-Version 4

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help w/wireless Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help w/wireless Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Need help w/wireless Laptop
by KenSanramon / November 8, 2004 8:05 AM PST

If you just bought an HP notebook it should have the minipci card built in (it should be referrred to likely as an Intel 2100 if it is B wireless only (original standard) or Intel 2200 b/g if it is the newer standard (supports b and g which is up to 5x faster). Or, you may have a Broadcomm minipci card.

You should have a button somewhere on your notebook (a blue light and the button is on the front of my HPZT3000/Compaq X1000 series) that you push to indicate you want the wi-fi activated on your notebook.

You only need a PCcard or USB wi-fi device if you didn't have the built in wi-fi (all desktops and older notebooks).

All you need is the router and any decent brand should be compatible. Once you set up the router (if you have a b/g minipci card you should get at least a 54G router which is backwards compatible to B) -- Dlink, Linksys, etc should all be fine -- you need to set up encryption to keep your wi-fi from being used by everyone ...

then, you have to go into the notebook and put in the encryption code -- once set up you don't have to worry about it -- if you turn on the wi-fi button it should instantly be logged onto your DSL or cable modem whereever it is in the house.

The internal wi-fi card keeps you from having to keep sticking in the external card and it is more efficient as well. Make sure you turn off the wi-fi button when not using wi-fi as that will save your battery life or even electricity (A/C) when not in use.

Collapse -
by Myingan / November 8, 2004 9:09 AM PST

Thanks Ken! I do indeed have the built in, so now to buy a router!Thanks again!

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / November 8, 2004 12:41 PM PST

Again, check the specs on your notebook built in minipci card to see if it was b only or the newer g standard. You can get a b wi-fi router for very cheap but you are better off getting a 54G wi-fi router (which you can still get for under $50 on discount) that will run G (5x faster) or B.

With DSL or cable you actually can't get the full 54G throughput (B is about 11mp/s) but the signal will be more stable and you will get somewhat of a faster signal.

You can get higher speeds and even buy an external pccard to go up to 108mb/s but this is only for file transfers between computers on your wi-fi network (not speeding up the internet web surfing through DSL or cable)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.