Desktops forum

General discussion

need help upgrading ram

by dtsjon / July 3, 2004 5:57 AM PDT

when installing additional memory on my computer, the computer only recognizes half of the new memory. i installed 256 mb of pc133sdrdimm into an hp pavillion 500s computer. the computer had 128 mb sdram in it. the new ram is recognized as 128 mb whether it is installed simultaneously with old ram or alone. i checked bios and it simply shows the new ram as 128 mb regardless of the installation slot.

model: hp pavillion 500s -- bought november 2001
1.2 ghz intel celeron processor
old ram: 128 mb sdr dimm
new ram 256 mb pc133 sdrdimm -- pny

according to hp website (also pny and crucial), the max ram on this computer is 512 mb.

i need to see if there's anything i am missing/doing wrong ... or just anything i can do to help the upgrade process.

the only thing i can think is that my motherboard simply is maxed out at 256mb

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need help upgrading ram
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need help upgrading ram
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: need help upgrading ram
by armorise / July 3, 2004 6:21 AM PDT

One thing about HPs- they are very picky with the manufacturers that make the memory modules. You stated that no matter what slot the new memory was in- it still registered as 128MB- did it change positions oh the position.. eg:
DIMM 0 - 128MB
DIMM 1 - 0 MB

and then when swapped:

DIMM 0 - 0MB
DIMM 1 - 128MB

or was it identical both times?

Also, you said it stayed the same when installed simeltaneously with the older RAM, do you mean it was still a total of 128MB or was it 256MB (128x2)?
eg:
DIMM 0 - 128 MB
DIMM 1 - 128 MB

Collapse -
Re: need help upgrading ram
by dtsjon / July 3, 2004 7:33 AM PDT

the new memory worked alone in either slot -- when it was in slot 1, the computer read 128 mb in slot 1 ... 0 in slot 2. when it was in slot 2, the computer read 128 mb in slot 2, 0 in slot 1.

when the two were inserted simultaneously, the computer read 128 mb in each slot (256 mb total)

Collapse -
Intel 810e chipset limitations.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2004 7:00 AM PDT

"512 MB maximum using 128 Mbit technology"
- Intel web site.

If we read this and other sites, the memory stick can only have 128 Mbit SDRAM chips. Translated to megabytes, each chip is 16 MegaBytes (MB.)

Your 256 Megabyte memory stick will have at least 16 memory chips on it and may be called DOUBLE SIDED not because the chips are on both sides but that each side of the 128 MB set of chips has its own Chip Select line.

My bet is you have the newer 256 MB memory stick with chips on one side of the stick.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Intel 810e chipset limitations.
by dtsjon / July 3, 2004 7:39 AM PDT

so is there a solution to how i can get more ram in the computer? do i need to find 256 mb ddr?

or is the 256mb sdr that i am using actually giving the full (practical) 256 mb even though it registers only the 128 mb?

Collapse -
The solution is simple. Get the right stick.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2004 8:23 AM PDT

Because of the limitations of the 810e chipset, Crucial.com sends you another type of memory stick.

And no, what you have is only supplying 128M of ram.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: The solution is simple. Get the right stick.
by dtsjon / July 3, 2004 8:36 AM PDT

ok, so now my ignorance flies to the surface. i thought what i had was the right stick. what specifics do i need to look for ... or will the one that shows up on crucial definitely be the right one.

... the one that shows up on crucial SEEMS to be the same as the one i just purchased.

Collapse -
Re: The solution is simple. Get the right stick.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2004 8:44 AM PDT

I offered the technical reason in as simple words as I could. To recap, the 810e chipset can only address 128 megabytes of RAM with each CHIP SELECT signal. You can dig in and read about this in the technical documents at www.intel.com, but I'm condensing it to this one small fact for us.

To get 256 megabytes on a stick, they use two chip selects and out of that came the terms SINGLE SIDED and DOUBLED SIDED memory sticks. There was much confusion in PC LAND about this since many noticed that double sided sticks had chips on both sides!

Crucial.com can't make money by sending you the wrong sticks. PNY is a generic (but good for most) brand that can't put single or double sided offerings on the shelf since support is non-existent.

Hope this explains it.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?