PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Need help upgrading PSU, compatibility issues...

by mrtoughpants / June 12, 2005 9:58 AM PDT

I own a Compaq Presario 6010CA series and just bought a Radeon X800 XL GPU and a Dynex DX-PS400W PSU because my old 200W (P/N 263919-001) PSU couldn't support the GPU. The Dynex PSU is not compatible with my motherboard which I found out the hard way. HP/Compaq tech support told me I had to find a third party PSU that was compatible with my mobo. I really don't know where to find a compatible PSU for my mobo any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help upgrading PSU, compatibility issues...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help upgrading PSU, compatibility issues...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by mrtoughpants / June 12, 2005 10:04 AM PDT

Don't know how to edit my message but the chip set is I believe nVidia nForce 220 (DDR)

Collapse -
Can you explain what the
by Ray Harinec / June 12, 2005 11:47 AM PDT

incompatibilities are???

Mechanical mounting, power connector to the mobo???

Difficult to find info on some aspects of the Compaq supply. Found a direct replacement, but you want higher wattage. The direct replacement looks like a standard ATX. Saw some compaqs that had a "bulge" [fan, or] on top.

http://www.censuspc.com/cart/product.php?productid=1798

Does your mobo take the 20 or 24 pin connector from the supply. Also does it use the 4 pin 12 volt connector??

Collapse -
Incompatibilities
by mrtoughpants / June 13, 2005 6:57 AM PDT

Mobo takes 20 pin connector and 4 Pin 12V connector.

The PSU I just bought is incompatible because there is a connector missing (white and blue wires with 2 Pins)that would connect close to the 20 pin connector. The PSU doesn't fit properly into the case either the fan faces the mobo sucking air from inside the case.

The PSU in the link you provided is also missing the 2 pin connector.

Replacement number - 271398-001

Thanks for the help : )

Collapse -
Is it possible that the blue and white
by Ray Harinec / June 13, 2005 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Incompatibilities

connector was for a second fan inside the Power Supply. Supplies that have two fans, often have a small cable to connect to the mobo for control/monitoring of the second fan. Your new supply may be a single fan type.

I also had a power supply where those wires were to provide power[and control] to a case fan using the sensor in the Power Supply.

You are NOT saying that there are any wires missing from the 20 pin connector are you???? And you do have the 4 pin 12 volt connector.

You have simply run into the reason that we nerds that build our own won't buy Compaq, Dell, gateway et al.

The fan SHOULD suck air from the inside of the case. Normally the fan is close to the rear [outside] of the power supply case, however I can conceive of a design the forces air over the heat sink and components to provide cooling. That's what the fan on the CPU's HSF does.

Back about 1996 the Intel ATX spec said that the power supply fan should exhaust air INTO the case to then pass over the CPU [when CPU's didn't get hot], a terrible design error!!! The Power Supply and computer makers, in short order reversed the fans. Intel didn't change the spec until years later, didn't matter because everyone disregarded it.

I am still running one such system with a PII 333. ASUS P2L96 mobo, UMax computer.

Collapse -
2 Pin connector for heatsink fan?
by mrtoughpants / June 13, 2005 8:50 AM PDT

There is nothing missing besides the Blue and White 2 Pin connector. I think you are correct, the 2 Pin connector powers/controls the fan on the CPU heatsink because the fan wasn't working with the new PSU installed.

Are there any (300W +) PSUs available for my PC? It's really difficult to find I browse some hardware sites but I have limited knowledge about these things.

I have this X800 XL just sitting around and Battlefield 2 is just around the corner :cries:

Collapse -
Let's first discuss the
by Ray Harinec / June 13, 2005 9:07 AM PDT

HSF on the CPU. Is that the one that you are saying doesn't run???

If it doesn't but the PS fan works, then describe how the wires on the HSF fan get connected to the blue and white. There'll probably be a way to make a kludge adapter, so you can run the fan from the 4 pin Molex connector from the Power Supply bundle..

Also a simple solution would be to buy a New HSF. It'll come with a three wire plug for the mobo [you probably won't have a mate on the mobo] However whever you buy the new HSF [or a sparate fan] you can buy the adapter to connect the littl3e three pin to a big 4 pin molex from the power supply. No big deal, that way the HS fan will run at full speed all the time rather than being temperature controlled.

Go to http://www.cyberguys.com to see a selection of HSF's, Fans, Cable adapters et al. Probably also at computer geeks and many other places.

Collapse -
I searched for about an hour last night
by Ray Harinec / June 13, 2005 9:18 AM PDT

and couldn't find any. Found a few sites that one or two at the most "exact" replacements for a Compaq, but you want more power.

Probably not worth the effort. Sounds to me adapting the fan that you have to the molex, buying a new HSF and 3 pin to molex adapter, or simply buying a new fan to attach to the heat sink and an adapter.

You are talking under $20 total and you already have the supply.

Also have you looked closely at the mobo surface to be sure that there is not a three pin connector to plug the fan in [a new fan with the three pin adapter]. The pins are male, they stick up from the mobo surface. In your case if there is one it may not be real close to the CPU, it would be elsewhere for use with a possible added fan.

Collapse -
I failed to caution you
by Ray Harinec / June 13, 2005 9:21 AM PDT

DO NOT power the system up for more than a few seconds without the CPU fan running. The CPU can overheat in milliseconds. The only saving grace is if the heat sink is cold, it then will absorb some heat for a minute or so at best.

Collapse -
Found a 2pin to 3pin adapter
by mrtoughpants / June 13, 2005 11:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
I wish that they showed both ends
by Ray Harinec / June 13, 2005 12:30 PM PDT

Now, I am thinking that the wires from your fan are into a connector with female pins [because normally it would plug into the male pins sticking up from the mobo.

But I need to be certain. However you can see what you have and make a decision.

Most info when they say four pin they would say four pin Molex, and then I would be sure. But still the issue of the sex of the pins/contacts must be resolved.

You didn't say whether or not you located a place on the mobo to plug in a 3 pin fan connector.

Go to http://www.cyberguys.com and look at items 148 0018, 148 0020, 148 0021, 148 0025, 148 0027.

Sending you to look there because they show both ends, and I have their catalog to give you the item numbers. None of them are two pin but you should be able to separate the pins from the 2 pin job and plug them ito the three pin.

The only other issue would be the polarity to get the fan to run. Although they seem to be DC fans and would just run in the opposite direction if the polarity is reversed, most of them have a lille chopper in them and are really ac synchronous motors. Thus they will only run with the correct polarity. reverse polarity as a test will normally not hurt them. If it does run reversed it will be much slower than it should be.

On the normal power supply wires the yellow wires will be the 12 volts. On the three pin, Pin one would be ground, pin2 the 12 volts, pin 3 is the sensor that controls the speed, but you will not have anything connected to that. I have some of the cybers here. They use black for the ground [pin1] and red for pin2. Thr red from the small ones go to the yellow in the 4 pin molex, so don't get confused.

Collapse -
My error, I see that on one
by Ray Harinec / June 13, 2005 12:48 PM PDT

of them they show both ends.

My quandary is that I don't know what sex connectors you have to work with.

Good Engineering practice says that the hot leads should be female, to prevent inadvertant shorting to things. Thus the blue and white leads from your old supply were likely female, thus the wires from the fan would be male.

Note that for the three pin males on the mobo, the rule is not followed because there is one hot lead in each direction and they used all male. Thus for a normal fan it would have female pins.

So you have to tell me what Compaq did.

Seems awfully confusing for something so simple. I have a voltmeter, thus if I had the unit in front of me its working in five minutes.

Collapse -
Problem fixed.
by mrtoughpants / June 14, 2005 8:05 AM PDT

Well I just got myself a 4-Pin connector with 2 extra wires in the 4-Pin slot that was used for another PCs heatsink. I stripped the White and Blue wires from my old PSU and wired them with the 4(+2) connector. The heatsink fan is running just fine from what I can see. The HS is ice cold with the new PSU unlike the other day where the HS was burning hot. I guess this fixes the problem and I can go onto putting in the X800 XL Happy

Thanks for the help

I'll get back if more problems arise Wink

Collapse -
Hey, GREAT, and thanx for
by Ray Harinec / June 14, 2005 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem fixed.

letting us know.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?