Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Need Help, Trying to figure what's wrong

by Marie Power / July 29, 2006 6:22 AM PDT

Hi,

I have a Compaq Presario Model SR1300NX, 3000+AMD Sempron, 256, 60GB with CD-RW operating on Windows XP Home. It has been acting up for a while. I posted what I'm going to say here on the virus forum first and they said it sounded like a hardware program. The computer has been doing the following: Freezing (locking up) where I have to turn power surge protector off to unlock it, running extremely slow, will have internet explorer up and whether I type something in the address bar or search bar it will close itself with no warning. Also the cursor as I type shakes while I'm typing.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Help, Trying to figure what's wrong
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Help, Trying to figure what's wrong
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2006 6:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re:Need Help, Trying to figure what's wrong
by hawker505 / July 29, 2006 6:42 AM PDT

Doesn't sound like an hardware problem to anish.....sounds like ur system is a house for some really nasty guys called spywares, adwares....etc. Have u run any Spyware removel tool. If not try it out. Spware Doctor from PC Tools w'd be recomended for spyware removel. U rpobably might have a high cpu usage which can be cleared by using a registry cleaner such as Registry Mechanic From PC Tools.Use ur defragmenter once in a while to boost PC performance.

Collapse -
Did the following
by Marie Power / July 29, 2006 7:48 AM PDT

I have Norton so I ran the live updates then did a full system scan which showed no virsus so then downloaded Ad-Aware Personal and did what it said then downloaded Tune-Up Utilities 2006 and did the 1-Click Maintenance.

I was told I needed to do a system restore but don't have the disks but do have a system restore on the computer. I tried to do that but it won't let me backup to a CD.

This is really confusing and aggravating especially since its only a year and a half old.

I have also done the disk cleanup and the disk defragmenter.

Thank you for your help.

Collapse -
First up, get rid of Norton!
by seafox13 / July 29, 2006 12:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Did the following

1) Get rid of the bulky Norton.
2) Ensure that Windows hidden files and system files are open for the malware scan session you will do.
3) Turn off System Restore before you do these scans, as the nasties can be buried here, and so evade the anti-parasite software.
4) System Restore may now be turned on again.

Collapse -
Hidden and system files
by Marie Power / July 29, 2006 9:10 PM PDT

How do I ensure that the hidden files and systems are on? Also how do I make sure that systems restore is off? It sounds like that you are telling me that after I make sure the hidden files and systems files are on and that systems restore is off that I should run everything again. I don't mind doing that since I will be home today as I have a puppy that is extremely ill and can't leave her.

Thanks so much for the help.

Collapse -
Updates tooo.........
by hawker505 / July 29, 2006 6:44 AM PDT

Keep ur system updated with the lattest updates from Microsoft.

Collapse -
Updates are current
by Marie Power / July 29, 2006 7:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Updates tooo.........

Hi,

I went to Microsoft Windows Updates and it is set to automatic updates. I did click to make sure and it said there were no high priority updates to install only optional software and hardware updates. I'm guessing that means I'm up-to-date since it only said optional.

I'm thinking that I might now need to take it somewhere as I've done all I know to do and what has been suggested here.

I really appreciate the help and support I've gotten by joining this website.

Collapse -
As previously alluded to.....
by Michael Geist / July 29, 2006 8:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Updates are current

the accumulation of all types of software can drag a marginally memory equipped system down. Additionally, Windows is like a closet that becomes very crowded when not cleaned out.

Back up the essentials and then renew the system with a clean install. Only use that software you need to use, that's the way to a smooth humming machine.

Collapse -
Clean Install??
by Marie Power / July 29, 2006 9:51 AM PDT

Is a clean install the same thing as a system restore? Also I have already to backup to a cd and it won't let me. It keeps telling me to insert a disk and I have tried several different disk that are all CD-RW.

If I can't back up what I need to keep then I don't know what else to do other than to take it somewhere and tell them I've everything I've done my own and with the help of this forum.

Collapse -
Not the same.....
by Michael Geist / July 29, 2006 10:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Clean Install??

SR will take you back in various stages of time. Clean install takes you to the time your PC was new.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Your inability to BU files to disk leads me to believe the software is indeed corrupted and a BU is all the more called for. Seek another media (USB flash drive) as a starter.

Collapse -
You've Lost Me
by Marie Power / July 29, 2006 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Not the same.....

I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying I won't be able to back up and should take it somewhere? Its greek to me when its on the technical side of computers. I'm good with using the programs.

Thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
Re:You've Lost Me
by hawker505 / July 29, 2006 3:52 PM PDT
In reply to: You've Lost Me

I c u've run the Norton Anti-virus, and no virus.....huh! Then its got to be some spwares, adwares, malwares and stuffs like that. So run an anti-spyware programme like Spyware Doctor from PC Tools. Get into safe mode before running the scan(press F10 or F5 key during bootup till u see an option for safe mode).Run it not just once, but 2-3 times at a stretch or till the results show zero files detected or something similar to this.

That can slightly increase ur system Performance. After that is done then do a scan on your registry files with a registry scanner such as Registry Mechanic From PC Tools.Safe mode w'd be recommended. Run it 2-3 times to make sure u've cleaned ur registy completly

After the above two scans ur computer shud have better performance than before.If non of the above works u should do it the hard way, do a clean install of Microsoft Windows Xp SP2 AFTER U'VE BACKED UP UR DATA.

Collapse -
When I receive a PC whose software......
by Michael Geist / July 29, 2006 8:43 PM PDT

is corrupted to the point where a BU utility will fail, I will insert a USB Flash drive and drag and drop files and folders over from the corrupted machine to the flash drive. After I am satisfied I have what I need, I will insert the system's restoration disk or XP cd, format and restore the system back to it's factory state.

The process was outlined in the previous post's link.

Collapse -
Just so you know about System Restore
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 29, 2006 9:02 PM PDT

System Restore is not re-installing your whole Operating System.

System Restore is a function and utility inbuilt into Windows XP where, every so often, backups are taken of the Registry and of system critical files and saved onto the hard disk.

These backups can be carried out automatically by the computer, and/or can be done by yourself at important times, eg before you install programs or other software which, if you do not like the change, you can "restore back to the point before the change happened".

If you goto Start > Help and Support, and type in System Restore and search, then from the list select "System Restore Overview", you will see much more information.

You may want to check how many restore points you have, as these take up disk space and this could be a factor in slowing your computer down. XP's Disk Cleanup utility will help you remove all but the last system restore point if you want to do that.

Mark

Collapse -
USB Flash Drive
by Marie Power / July 29, 2006 9:16 PM PDT

It sounds like before I do anything I need to go buy a USB Flash Drive since it won't let me do a backup.
I will do what everyone has suggested after I get the USB Flash Drive which unfortunately won't be till tomorrow as I have a very sick puppy at home that I can't leave.

I want to thank everyone for their help. I will let you know how it turns out after I get the USB Flash Drive and do a backup and then do everything again.

Collapse -
Not sure if it's possible with your system and the CDs
by VAPCMD / July 30, 2006 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: USB Flash Drive

have to restore or reinstall the OS but you might consider the option of getting another HDD and doing the install on the new HDD. Once you're back up and running ...then connect the old HDD and copy your data from it. Once you've copied your personal data to the new HDD...then wipe the old HDD with the mfgs utility, partition it, format it and use it as a backup drive.

If you need any help...let us know.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thank you.
by Marie Power / July 30, 2006 6:31 AM PDT

I want to thank everyone for their help. I had to take my puppy to the emergency vet so I'm going to have to put this off for a day or two as I have to keep a very close eye on her and my computer is in a room that is too far from where I need to keep her.

Thank you again for the support and guidance.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?