Computer Help forum

General discussion

need help troubleshooting email setup on new computer

by beelissa / October 19, 2006 12:00 AM PDT

We just got a new laptop, Windows XP Media Center edition. I'd really like to use as few Microsoft applications as possible on this computer. I'm looking for alternatives to Outlook or Outlook Express for email (previously, on the old laptop, my husband used Outlook and I used Thunderbird).

I'm not an idiot when it comes to computers. I've successfully set up email on several different computers, in the following email clients: Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora, Thunderbird, and I even set up email for my son on some colorful email program whose name I've now forgotten.

But this time, I've had nothing but trouble. We got the laptop on Sunday, and I finally got my own email working yesterday afternoon (Wednesday), in Thunderbird, after many attempts that failed. During that time I also downloaded Opera (my husband's browser of choice) and Eudora, and tried to get my husband's email addresses to work in both of these (Opera has an email client built in, though the last time I tried to use it, I could never get it to work).

I'd really like my husband to be able to use the Opera email client, or at least try it and see what it's like, but we can't do that really till we can get it to open email. It keeps saying it thinks we have the wrong password. I was beginning to think I did have the wrong password, until I finally thought that, as a troubleshooting measure, I'd try setting up one of my husband's addresses in Thunderbird -- and it worked. Then I set up his other address in Thunderbird, and that worked too. So, I do indeed have the correct passwords, but I can't seem to get the mail to download into Eudora or Opera, and I'm very frustrated.

Thunderbird seems to just download mail from all three accounts right into the same place. I tried setting up a filter to make his email go into a separate folder, but that doesn't seem to be working. We'll endanger our marriage if we have to have our mail going all into the same place for too many more days, so we must fix this.

Here's what I want: since my husband has 2 different active addresses, I'd like to have a client for him that will check both and dump them into the same place, so he doesn't have to remember to switch back and forth. Outlook does this, but like I said, I don't want to use it. Thunderbird does this, and I think Opera will too but I'm not sure yet since I haven't gotten it to work. I think with Eudora, he'd have to switch identities and check mail in each one, so that's on the best choice for him.

Once I've picked one for him, then I want to find another client for me that will keep my mail separate. Since I only have one address, I could use Eudora if necessary.

So what I'm asking is, how can I troubleshoot what is going wrong in Opera? I notice Opera has several options when it comes to authentication, whereas Thunderbird just has a box to check if you want to use authentication and it's not checked. So, I've tried the option "none" for authentication in Opera and it doesn't seem to work. However, last night I opened the read mail folder in Opera, and there were 4 pieces of mail there for my husband. One was the "welcome to Opera" mail they send to everyone, but three were specific mail sent to him, so at one point I had it working (for one of his addresses anyway) and didn't know it. When you set it up, it tests it right away, and then every time it checks it, it gives you an error, so I thought I was not gettin mail. And, most of the time I wasn't, he got other messages during that time that didn't get downloaded to Opera, but -- well, I must have hit upon it, so how can I figure out what I'm doing wrong?

If I have to put my husband in Thunderbird and put my email in Eudora, I wouldn't mind doing that, but my email is attached to a domain name that I own, and my husband's is from our ISP, so his is easier to set up -- I've never had trouble doing it before now.

Can anyone help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need help troubleshooting email setup on new computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need help troubleshooting email setup on new computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
XP, accounts and more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2006 12:22 AM PDT

"Thunderbird seems to just download mail from all three accounts right into the same place. I tried setting up a filter to make his email go into a separate folder, but that doesn't seem to be working. We'll endanger our marriage if we have to have our mail going all into the same place for too many more days, so we must fix this."

Besides the email accounts, doesn't hubby have his own XP login? If not, almost all email programs will have issues with keeping the mail seperated.

Back in Windows 98 days there was a flirtation with Outlook Express "identities" but that was years ago. Today we create a new user account for hubby and email should (and does) land only in that account.

Bob

Collapse -
questions
by beelissa / October 19, 2006 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: XP, accounts and more.

So, your saying that creating a separate XP login for my husband would allow both of us to use Thunderbird for email and keep it separate? We have 2 different logins on our desktop computer (one for the kids and one for the grownups) and it seems to me that it complicated the setup and took up a lot of disk space and memory, so I'm really not sure I want to do that. Anyone have any comments on that?

FYI, both my desktop and my laptop have 512 mb RAM, and I think the desktop has a 60 gb hard drive and the new laptop has 80 gb.

I really think it would work find if I could just get Opera to download his email. Their support files don't tell me much about how to troubleshoot it, though, other than "this is the message you get when the password is wrong or the user is unknown." Since I got it to work in Thunderbird, I know I have the user names and passwords correct.

Collapse -
I find the Windows 98 owners to call it complicated.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2006 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: questions

It's just a new thing and we'll have to give it time to sink in.

I found it not to take much disk space so if it does then I wonder why.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?