Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Need help transferring files from a Win98SE to a WinXP PC

I've posted here before, so hello again!

I have a Compaq Presario 1692 laptop that runs on Win98SE. Its specs ... it has a CD-ROM (but NOT a CD burner), a 3.5 floppy drive, a PCMCIA slot (but nothing in it), a serial 9-pin port, a parallel 25-pin port, a USB 1.1 port, and a basic modem port. To connect to the internet, I was using dial-up.

For whatever reason, its ability to connect to the internet just upped and quit on me one day. I have posted about this issue in another thread here. I haven't gotten around to exploring the suggestions offered there yet.

But in the meanwhile, I'm preparing myself should I have to resort to a worst-case scenario - completely rebooting the laptop.

However, before I go that route, I have to somehow secure/backup/copy files that exist only on the laptop - documents, pictures, mp3s, etc.

First thought I had ...
Pop a flash drive into the USB port, copy the files, and voila.
But this didn't work.
The laptop knew there was a device in the USB port, but didn't or couldn't recognize what it was, and therefore I couldn't copy the files.
Since then, I've learned - lucky me - that my Compaq laptop doesn't have the necessary drivers to work properly with a flash drive.

Second thought I had ...
Somehow physically connect my laptop to another computer. In this case, the other computer I have access to is an eMachines desktop that runs on WinXP.
I got a 9-pin to 9-pin serial cable that I connected between the laptop and the desktop. I tried this two different ways: plugging it in while both machines were running and plugging it in before turning on both machines.

1st try:
Direct Cable Connection
I had no problem setting it up on the Win98SE laptop, and I thought that I did the correct corresponding thing on the WinXP desktop.
But this didn't work.

2nd try:
Files and Settings Transfer
On the WinXP desktop, I had no problem setting it up. Moreover, I created a Wizard Setup floppy disk to use in the Win98SE laptop. I put this disk in the laptop and ran the Wizard. I would get to the screen on both computers where it autodetects the ports on both machines being used to connect. It would get hung up on both machines. Even though it said to give it a minute to do the autodetect, I gave it well over 20 minutes on a few occasions, but it still didn't work.

3rd try:
Network Setup
On the WinXP desktop, I had no problem setting it up. Like before, I even created a Wizard Setup floppy disk to use in the Win98SE laptop. I put this disk in the laptop and ran the Wizard. As far as I could tell, I did all of the necessary steps on both machines. Each had a unique computer name and both would be on the same network name. In the end, neither machine recognized the other; it didn't work.

4th try:
HyperTerminal
On both machines, I was able to set up HyperTerminal. As far as I could tell, both machines would "connect", but like before ... neither machine recognized the other ... once again, it just didn't work.

Since then, I've done a little bit of additional research ... it turns out that a 9-pin serial cable is a poor choice to do any of this with. So, I got rid of the cable. Instead, based on what I've read, I should actually be using a 25-pin parallel cable. I've gone ahead and ordered one of these cables.

Bottom line ... I just want to safely somehow get my files off of the Win98SE laptop. (And to recap: I can't burn a CD, I can't use a USB flash drive ... and my floppy drive takes only those measly 1.44MB disks.)

So, I've decided to post my problem here and see what the collective expert minds here might have to say/suggest/offer.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help transferring files from a Win98SE to a WinXP PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help transferring files from a Win98SE to a WinXP PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You need some USB driver. Like this one.

In reply to: Need help transferring files from a Win98SE to a WinXP PC

Collapse -
RE: You need some USB driver. Like this one.

In reply to: You need some USB driver. Like this one.

Thank you for the link you provided for a workable driver to use on my Win98SE laptop!

Question though: Since I can't get online (yet) on the laptop to directly download the necessary stuff ... is there perhaps a work-around? Might there be a way to create a CD disc or a floppy disk on the eMachines WinXP desktop I have access to that I can then pop into the laptop and run?

Collapse -
I thought it was smaller than a floppy?

In reply to: RE: You need some USB driver. Like this one.

As to a CD, that works too. Maybe I missed it. Did you need instructions on how to create files on CD or diskette? (no offense intended, just need to know if there is a question.)
Bob

Collapse -
RE: I thought it was smaller than a floppy?

In reply to: I thought it was smaller than a floppy?

I went to the site you provided in a link. I just didn't click on the actual driver link there, because before I did so, I didn't know going in whether I had to physically be on the machine that needed the driver.

But, from what I gather you are saying ... I can go to the site again while on the other computer, click on the driver link, and save it directly onto a 3.5 floppy or a CD. And then I can put that into the Win98SE laptop and run it.

If this matters or not, I don't know ... but the flash drive I was attempting to use in the beginning of all of this was a SanDisk Cruzer Micro USB 2.0 kind. I had done some research and as far as I can tell, it's okay to use something like this, because USB 2.0 is backwards-compatible. (Unless I'm wrong here somehow.)

Oh, this may be a ridiculous question on my part, paranoia even, hehehe ... but running/installing the driver program on the laptop, it won't affect/corrupt/delete the files I'm desperately trying to preserve, will it?

Collapse -
Not a bad question.

In reply to: RE: I thought it was smaller than a floppy?

The problem we have is that once fear kicks in then we find ourselves paralyzed to the point we won't do what's needed to get the job done. No one can predict exactly what will happen in all cases but until you get that driver installed we can't know the result.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: driver

In reply to: I thought it was smaller than a floppy?

Sandisk has its own Windows 98 driver for the Cruzer micro. I've downloaded it for my own stick from their site, but it was a little bit hidden. I assume the link in http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/sandisk-cruzer-micro.html works fine also, but I didn't try it. I've got the driver on many backups, so there is no need, hopefully, to ever download it again.

And, yes, you can download the zip-file on any other PC and put it on a diskette. Then you'll need to unzip it on your Windows 98 PC. If you don't have an unzipping program at that PC, unzip it at the XP PC you use to download it on, and store the resulting 9 files on a diskette. Then run Setup.exe on your Windows 98 PC.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.